PDA

View Full Version : I think I love DC characters.

cesare2009
06-29-2017, 01:23 PM
and I may just draw women from now on!

http://www.cesaretatarelli.com/samples/harley.jpg

http://www.cesaretatarelli.com/samples/supergirl.jpg

sevans
06-30-2017, 08:52 PM
Nice pics.

I think that you drawing only females may limit your chances at work however. Hahaha
BatMAN, SuperMAN, AquaMAN etc.

jeffchris50
06-30-2017, 10:56 PM
Haven't been on here in a while, but your work made me decide to sign in and leave you a comment or two.

First off, really nice work in both pencils and inks. The Joker(Jokerette?) is a nice piece, but her face looks a little---pained. Her expression is a little odd, sort of a cross between a grimace and a knowing smile? Nice job on the hair, though.

Supergirl I really, really like and I'm loathe to pick on it, but there are a few things to watch out for. If her left hand is ON her hip, there should be an indication of the pressure on the fabric of her skirt. And, even though she's Supergirl, her shoulders seem a little too broad for the female anatomy; it detracts from her femininity a bit and her arms, in general, seem like they might be a little short overall. Right wrist is a bit nonexistent as her arm just sort of flows into her fingers. She's got nice gams, though they could use a little extra length, as well, and that calf muscle on her left leg looks a little too bulbous, almost like she's got a tumor on her leg.

Other than that, I love her face and the attitude she's exuding via her expression. Keep up the great work! :D

kong
06-30-2017, 11:47 PM
these look good. is the first one digital or traditional inks?

cesare2009
07-01-2017, 03:28 AM
thanks Sevans good advice lol

Jeff, thanks for such a well considered crit,

Supergirl, what if her skirt isn't soft enough, just saying, but her leg, yes, and the other issues, well, I did this one fairly quickly, but I think it may be worth adjusting, you make valid points, but I was also going for a more graphic look, rather than anatomical accuracy, perhaps I did not strike the right balance.....I may just take the drawing further now. I've done that before based on feedback and had some nice results, check back in a bit to see where it goes....

that's Harley! and the expression was intentional....

Thanks Kong, digital inks....terrified of real ink lol....

cesare2009
07-01-2017, 03:53 PM
I can't think of any Marvel women to draw....why is that? I know, BW, but not as interesting.....

http://www.cesaretatarelli.com/samples/black_canary.jpg

compton
07-03-2017, 03:02 PM
Nice work really like the softness of the supergirl pose.

jeffchris50
07-05-2017, 11:22 PM
Nice take on Black Canary. She looks ready to kick some serious ass!

Marvel women to draw? Scarlet Witch, Hela, She Hulk, Captain Marvel, Jean Grey, Phoenix/Dark Phoenix, Invisible Woman, Jessica Jones, Storm, etc, etc. LOL!

cesare2009
07-06-2017, 10:12 PM
thanks Compton!

Jeff - thought about She Hulk, and Jean, great suggestions....working on a Batwoman, something about her.....

jeffchris50
07-07-2017, 03:44 AM
thanks Compton!

Jeff - thought about She Hulk, and Jean, great suggestions....working on a Batwoman, something about her.....

Batwoman----mmmm, something to look forward to! Great design work on that character. Hopefully, you've got some WW, Big Barda, Batgirl, Raven and Starfire in your pipeline, too...!

cesare2009
07-16-2017, 09:41 PM
I may have posted this one before, hope you enjoy!

http://www.cesaretatarelli.com/samples/wonderwomanFINAL_V5.jpg

jeffchris50
07-17-2017, 01:06 PM
Man, that is a super-nice rendering of WW, cesare! The pose is properly dynamic, the proportions all look good (to me) and the foreshortening on her right knee is so sweet it brings a tear to my eye! Great!

cesare2009
07-17-2017, 01:45 PM
Chris you flatter me, I worked hard on this one, feels good when those little details, like the foreshortening, are noticed....

DCdraw
07-17-2017, 08:28 PM
Hey cesare. Hate to be a buzzkill but wonder woman's right foreshortened leg looks pretty rough to my eyes. Seems like that was the area gave you the hardest time and you were trying to foreshorten it while at the same time making sure the anatomy of her thigh was all there and the result looks a little too lumpy. I think you just need to simplify when you're constructing foreshortened limbs and don't worry about anatomy too much. When things get foreshortened,sometimes the anatomy as you know it interlocks in contrary ways....Hope that makes some kind of sense. I have this problem myself to be honest.

Rest of the pic looks very nice and refined though..which is why the leg sticks out at me. I particularly like the face and hair...seems like you have a bit of an art Adams vibe going on there but with your own spin on it.

cesare2009
07-18-2017, 01:23 AM
Danny, I know you know what you're talking about, so I appreciate your observation, you know exactly how the drawing went down....until now I thought that leg was successful....does it really stand out that much?

I looked at people running, the muscles bounce around in motion, but your point about simplification is well taken, and is indeed what I have been trying to do....

as for style, its evolving constantly precisely because I am trying to cartoon more and worry less about accuracy....but its hard for me!

jeffchris50
07-18-2017, 12:05 PM
I just wish I could get foreshortening down a quarter as well and I've been trying to 48 some odd years!! Pesky human anatomy can be a bear to work with, but I still dig the rendering nonetheless.

After Danny's comment regarding your faces and hair, I had been trying to put a finger on whose work they remind me of and, for me, I see more Adam Hughes than Art Adams, but, hey, they're both ultra-talented so being compared to either is a good thing!

cesare2009
07-18-2017, 12:12 PM
I looked at Hughes for hours before I did the WW! Still looking at his work in fact....

Anatomy, Danny is a master, I study Bridgman, the covers are falling off every book!

DCdraw
07-18-2017, 05:35 PM
Danny, I know you know what you're talking about, so I appreciate your observation, you know exactly how the drawing went down....until now I thought that leg was successful....does it really stand out that much?

I looked at people running, the muscles bounce around in motion, but your point about simplification is well taken, and is indeed what I have been trying to do....

as for style, its evolving constantly precisely because I am trying to cartoon more and worry less about accuracy....but its hard for me!

Honestly, yeah, I feel as if my eye zeroed in on that area right away but, the leg isn't a total disaster or anything so no worries. It just looks a bit over worked and misshapen and contrasts with the rest of her figure which is more concise and clear.

BTW, I'm no anatomy master-still trying to figure all this shit out myself-but thanks anyway.

cesare2009
07-19-2017, 11:16 PM
Noted Danny, thanks for taking the time to crit.

Batwoman

Think I will ink this one....will see.....any thoughts on the pic are welcome!

http://www.cesaretatarelli.com/samples/batwoman_Final.jpg

cesare2009
07-20-2017, 01:15 AM
Inked

http://www.cesaretatarelli.com/samples/batwoman_inked.jpg

jeffchris50
07-20-2017, 03:51 AM
Batwoman looks pretty good, Cesare. To my eye, everything looks pretty proportionate body structure-wise. Something feels off about her left foot, whether it's the angle or not, I can't put a finger on. You accentuated the curves of her upper body really well, but from the waist down, her curves seem to flatten out a bit, betraying of setting off-kilter the voluptuousness of her from the waist up. Maybe a little more roundness to the curve of her butt and exaggerate in the curves of her legs would help her out, as well.

The one element that really strikes me is the seemingly masculinity of her face. Body is all woman, but the face seems a little overly manly with angles and bone structure much more prone to a male character.

I think I like the pencilled piece a bit better than the inked piece; the pencils give her a nice, organic feel, but the inks comes in, especially on the head and face, and kind of take that organicness away. Sometimes, with inking, less is more. I'd dry to pull back on the solidity of some of the inkwork and try to capture some of the more subtle shading nuances portrayed by the pencil rendering.

With just a little fine-tuning and tweaking, this could easily be another fabulous addition to your portfolio!

cesare2009
07-20-2017, 11:32 PM
Thanks for your crit Chris, I worked on the pic based on most of what you said.

http://www.cesaretatarelli.com/samples/batwoman_INKED2.jpg

cesare2009
07-25-2017, 12:00 AM
An older drawing, but I updated the inks

http://www.cesaretatarelli.com/samples/Silk_spectre.jpg