PDA

View Full Version : Sequential Art - Critique Welcome

PhilL123
06-02-2017, 05:23 PM
Hello everyone, I wanted to share some new pages. I made these pages for the DC Talent search this year. My goal was to write a short story and illustrate it. I penciled, inked, and colored it myself. Ultimately my goal is to be a penciler, so I think I will stick to just that with my future pages. It would be great to get to constructive feedback, I would like to get better at all aspects of comic book making. Thanks for your time!

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p794/superboy180/pageonergb_medium%20res_zpstr7uvrlj.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p794/superboy180/pagetworgb_mediumRes_zps0tm5npa1.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p794/superboy180/pagethreergb_medres_zpspi5damfc.jpg

If you are interested in more of my work my website can be found at philiplambertart.com

sevans
06-02-2017, 11:25 PM
Fun feel to these pages.
Not sure if DC or Marvel would go for this style, but it could work for an indie publisher.

DJA
06-03-2017, 01:03 AM
Yeah, like Sevens said. Fun style! The last panel's perspective work makes it look a little wonky.

Neil Allen
06-03-2017, 02:37 AM
I agree that it looks interesting, but I'm not sure DC and Marvel would go for this today (it does have somewhat of a Golden Age flavor to it to me, though). If you're looking to impress them, I'd tighten up the line work with straighter, more exacting lines with a less loose (casual) look. I'd also make the art more detailed. For example, there are a lot of bumps, shadows, and whatnot you could add to those whales. Or perhaps give more attention to detail.

Still, pretty cool looking.

sevans
06-03-2017, 04:21 AM
Yeah, the instrument panels and buildings etc would have to have bang on perspective and straight lines to get Marvel / DC work.
Figures are usually more toned in the main two also.

PhilL123
06-05-2017, 07:18 PM
Awesome thanks for the feedback! My plan of attack is to just focus on pencils for awhile and I think that a lot of these edits can be cleared up there instead to trying to rush to do penciling, inking and then coloring. I think I can get a mot more detail that way and clear up some of the more technical things. Thanks again!

xiombarg
06-08-2017, 08:00 PM
I would say forget the straight exacting lines stuff. I think you have a good thing going with your style, and any good editor shouldn't have a problem with that. There are too many 90s Image style artists as it is and if you follow that herd then you will lose what sets you apart, but just be sure to be consistent in how and when you use your line types. The two things I would say that might keep you from being seriously considered by DC would be tighter anatomy and the perspective on that last page. One thing you might want to do with your style is use shadows more, particularly with buildings. Using heavy shadows when you can will give a more serious look to certain panels that might otherwise come off as being overly cartoony, but without fundamentally changing your style.