PDA

View Full Version : Ghost City Comics Competition - Opens May 20

fota
05-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Hi guys. We just launched a brand new project: Ghost City Comics Competition (http://www.ghostcitycomics.com).

It's an online competition aimed at aspiring comic creators. As we made our own indie comics, we asked ourselves why there was nothing like a film festival for comics, where indie creators can submit their work and have judges from the industry choose the winners. So we decided to make it ourselves.

We’ve got some amazing judges and sponsors on board and awards that range from cash prizes to feedback from a publishing company. Submissions are officially open on May 20th until Aug 15. More details at ghostcitycomics.com

And feel free to ask any questions on here, we'll be around.

paul brian deberry
05-20-2017, 02:37 PM
Moved.

Thanks for sharing. Should be in the projects "pimp it" area.

sevans
05-23-2017, 05:35 AM
Comic contest.....Yay!

Chance to win prizes or get reviews etc..... Cool!

A fee to entry..... Fuck off!

paul brian deberry
05-23-2017, 08:42 AM
haha

fota
05-24-2017, 01:03 AM
@sevans We talked a little about why we're charging entry fee in our FAQ (http://ghostcitycomics.com/faq). But to answer it here, we're not a big company putting on a competition as a PR move. We are comic creators ourselves and we started this project because we thought it would be something cool to offer the indie community. We're putting a lot of our own time and money into this thing and honestly we don't even expect to break even. We're ok with that because we want it to grow into something bigger.

We asked fellow creators for what would be a reasonable entry fee and based it on that. And we tried to put up prizes and awards that would make it feel justified. We definitely don't want people to feel ripped off.

We understand if people don't want to pay a submission fee, but we hope people aren't thinking we're some greedy a-holes.

sevans
05-24-2017, 05:43 AM
$5 isn't greedy, but you don't usually have to pay to enter contests.....where you are doing the work.

fota
05-24-2017, 12:52 PM
So my counter to that would be that most contests are held by companies that do other things. Publishers who make money selling comics, or a convention might have an art contest.

We're not selling comics, t-shirts, or anything. The contest is the only thing we do. So if we paid for all the prizes, marketing, etc, and didn't charge, we would just lose thousands of dollars and never be able to do it again.

ayalpinkus
05-26-2017, 02:27 AM
If you look at the special guests and the jury, 17 industry professionals who will see your work, for five bucks, I don't think that's a bad deal at all. I have spent more just on postage stamps alone to send a submission to single publishers, who then didn't reply. This could be a great platform to showcase your work.

If Image finds the next The Walking Dead there, you can bet the contest will be swamped with submissions in later years and price will go up. This could be an opportunity to enter at ground level. It's just five bucks.

Good stuff @fota! I like this and I'll be keeping an eye on it. I could see this becoming a big thing. Sundance Festival for Comics :-)

ayalpinkus
05-26-2017, 02:50 AM
I once accidentally found myself at a film festival, so I know how cool these events can be. Many comics creators may not have been at these festivals, so you may have to sell them on the idea a bit. But I think it is a great idea!

fota
05-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Thanks @ayalpinkus! We really hope it can grow and become a staple of the indie comics world.