PDA

View Full Version : Omaik Daily drawings!

Omaik
04-28-2017, 07:35 PM
Hi everyone! im going to be posting drawing daily in here.. why?? because i need to! i need to draw more, and i think thats a good way to get better.

http://orig01.deviantart.net/92d9/f/2017/118/8/e/minibat_by_omaik-db7fb8z.jpg

As a question... do you think a drawing like that is worth $10?.. maybe more, or less?
I know its subjective, thats why im asking for opinions.

Thanks!

Omaik
04-29-2017, 05:59 PM
No replies, heh... no prob! lets keep with the dailies.

http://orig14.deviantart.net/aa18/f/2017/092/0/a/spiderman_commission_by_omaik-db4eb2m.png

sevans
04-30-2017, 05:47 AM
You can't ask me.....

For the time spent, $10 is probably a bargain, BUT being on a forum of artists....I would just draw my own.

If your artwork was amazing and made me go 'holy f**K" I would consider buying a commission and be prepared to pay more.

Metalni
04-30-2017, 06:12 PM
@Omaik: Calculate by the time you've spent.
If's your hourly rate is arround $20 for an example, and you've spent 30 minutes on something, then $10 is ok.

Usually, I dont go under $50.
That's a minimum for the start.
:)

Stewart Vernon
05-01-2017, 12:13 AM
Time and complexity are factors.

As you get better, you also might get faster... so you don't charge less for a thing because you've become good enough to do it faster!

A lot of it is hit or miss, trying to find your space and see where the price point is.

I've found setting price points to be difficult. IF you charge too much, people will balk and you might never know why... but IF you don't charge enough, people will also balk and you might never know why!

Whatever your actual price points are... here are some types of art I've seen others break down to:

1. Head sketch b&w only
2. Color Head sketch
3. One character full b&w only
4. One character full color

Some artists will also do a pencil sketch cheaper than an inked one... and for the full character ones, you can often get a 2nd or third character added to the commission for an add-on price that is less than the cost of an individual single-character illustration.

Some also have different sizes... like Sketch Cards, or the 7x10 (roughly) comic backing boards, or 9x11 Bristol or 11x17... and they charger more for the larger illustrations.

I haven't been doing too many commissions at the conventions I've guested at... but I decided to try the following break-downs for a few different options:

1. 2.5x3.5 Sketch cards (color or b&w) $5
2. 7x10 comic backing board head sketch only b&w $15
3. 7x10 comic backing board head sketch color $30

I can do a reasonably good color sketch card in 30 minutes or so... so that translates to $10 an hour... which is definitely on the low side... but my supply costs are low for those and I'm trying to get my name and rep spread around. I'm also recognizing that getting started I can't just name my prices, so I figure I'll start low and increase the price whenever demand starts to be hard to keep up with.

Stewart Vernon
05-01-2017, 12:14 AM
Oh, and I forgot to add... both illustrations here (mini Batman and Spider-Man) are really nice.

Omaik
05-01-2017, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Right, i know mostly artists visit this place (as far as ive seen), and its difficult to find places to look for jobs/commissions.. deviantart for example, is full of crappy artists and people with rates way too low for their quality. Maybe im not too good at looking but i havent found good places to look for work.

I spent around 30 minutes with the batman one, and the spiderman took me around an hour.

Stuart, thanks for the lists and all, very useful.

Stewart Vernon
05-01-2017, 11:39 PM
You also hedge your bets a little in pricing. I don't know the physical size of your two drawings here... but for the sake of argument let's say they are both on the same size paper, 8x10 maybe.

If one takes you 30 minutes, and the other takes an hour... you have the choice of trying to price such things differently OR averaging it out, not knowing what someone might request you draw... and charging a bit more than you "need" for the drawing you can do faster... so that you make some "bank" towards the ones that you need to spend more time upon.

So, if you thought the first drawing was worth $10 but wanted to charge $20 for the second one because it took you twice as long... you might want to consider charging $15 for both of them.

Or, frankly, if they are 8x10 or so sized drawings... I'd be inclined to ask for $20-$30 for them as full character drawings... add more if you add other characters add more if you also colored them... subtract a little if you stop at the pencil stage and don't ink them.

A lot of it is just... put a price out there, be willing to haggle, especially if someone wants multiple things. And wing it until you make a name and a reputation for yourself.

You can also consider selling prints too. You sell prints for less... maybe $10 for a large print... but you can sell the same illustration multiple times if you have a good one for sale.

IF you start with hand-drawn... and make a print from that... you can even do it all... have an original piece that you sell once... but sell prints later at a smaller return of mostly profit for work already done - cost of producing the prints.

Metalni
05-02-2017, 01:41 AM
Also, one thing: Focus on one job type, or just a few.
Comics? Ok, but just comics- plus illustrations of course, for an example.

Omaik
06-07-2017, 07:11 PM
Been practicing a lot of things, since work has been scarce lately.. btw, i take commissions :D in case theres someone interested

http://orig12.deviantart.net/4848/f/2017/158/1/f/wolverine_pencil_sketch_by_omaik-dbbwsjk.jpg

more artworks pretty soon!

Omaik
06-30-2017, 04:28 PM
Finally some new artwork, its been a while!
Probably not many will know who this is, but if you do, id like to know!

Thanks

http://orig00.deviantart.net/9a03/f/2017/181/6/b/flik_from_suikoden_series__by_omaik-dbelj39.jpg

Omaik
06-30-2017, 05:23 PM
btw, im shamelessly promoting that im looking for commissions! Need money, a lot!
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

http://orig12.deviantart.net/bf96/f/2017/181/c/2/anime_portraits___with_prices__by_omaik-dbelqby.jpg

those are "anime style" headshots, but can do comic or cartoon style, full body, or whatever else.

Omaik
07-02-2017, 04:21 PM
More sketches, practicing varied faces now.

http://orig14.deviantart.net/91cb/f/2017/183/e/0/faces_practice_by_omaik-dbeu2km.jpg

compton
07-03-2017, 03:00 PM
Nice ! I love these sketch a day things I remember when Ryan Ottley (sp?) did this for a year you could really see his improvement over that time . Good luck with it.

Omaik
07-05-2017, 06:28 PM
I dont post daily, but draw as much as i can, i still feel i need to improve a lot... to make better artworks (aaaand, to find art jobs on a regular basis, because its rather hard sometimes, like.. now!)
another one, a Cap i did, just pencils. I tend to inks things, but i actually prefer just pencils. The problem is most people seem to think that if anm artwork is not inked or colored, then its unfinished.

http://pre06.deviantart.net/e032/th/pre/f/2017/186/a/c/cap_america_pencil_drawing_by_omaik-dbf7tub.jpg