PDA

View Full Version : Licensing for artists

JasonEnosArt
04-04-2017, 11:02 AM
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been a regular at these forums. But, I have a question that Google does not have an easy answer for.

A recently drew two Star Wars themed pieces for charity auction, and they were very well received. A friend of mine who used to work at Disney's corporate offices said that I should seek licensing through LucasArts. I did a Google search to see the pros and cons of licensing, and most articles covered what that licensing would mean for a company that wants to put Yoda on their soup can, not the advantages or disadvantages for a freelance artist to secure a licence. I found one article that hit on some of the advantages.

It seems that the one advantage is the ability to sell safely in the marketplace, with a possibility of an expanded marketplace, since official Star Wars events may now be available selling places for the artist. The disadvantage seems to be that all pieces of art that you make in regards to Star Wars, even private commissions, would need the blessing of Lucas Arts to be sold, and could even be snatched from the original collector that commissioned the piece in the first place.

What do you guys know about licensing and how it affects you as an artist?

Thanks!

Scribbly
04-04-2017, 07:00 PM
The advantage: You can make decent money almost regularly. But not to lay on it. The next assignement could go to different artist.The disvantage: Usually you gotto remain anonimous. Cant sell, advertise or publish any material you made. Sort of ghosting job. For comics no problem but the fact you got to be hired by the publisher whos representing the license.
Licenses go managed by companies or publishers who hire artists for do the job. The artwork got to be supervised by very picky license representatives. Many adjustments and readjustments would be required before payment to artist is made. Adjustments are not paid as extras. Rather than that OK job.