PDA

View Full Version : Submission question

Cyclops
03-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Hey there! I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post a question, and if not I do apologize to the admin.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of any indie comic companies that are accepting submissions. I've submitted already to Image, Avatar Press and Action Lab. Oni Press and Aftershock say they're not taking any.

Ideas anyone?:cool:

Steve Colle
03-12-2017, 09:40 PM
Hi Cyclops,

Curious: Did you wait for a response from any of the publishers you've already submitted to? Check what their timelines for responding are, as you should give them a chance to consider your submission.

Cyclops
03-12-2017, 10:02 PM
I heard back from one so far (it was a no). Yes, you are probably right and I should be more patient. The other 2 said up to a month (and its been maybe 2 weeks).

But I'm a little :bounce:

I just learned about Vault Comics tonight when I was at the store. I guess my question is are there any smaller pubs anyone here knows about?

Bulletboy-Redux
03-13-2017, 08:36 AM
Don't be surprised if you get no answer at all, not even a formal rejection. A lot of publishers only respond if they're interested. In fact these days that seems to be how most of them do it.

Have you bookmarked this list? It's pretty helpful
https://jasonthibault.com/definitive-list-comic-publisher-submission-guidelines/

maverick
03-17-2017, 12:18 PM
Nobody is addressing the myriad of variables here.

What genre is your comic? What is the style of art?

Is it full color or black and white?

How many pages are planned for the first story arc?

Is any of the creative team an "established" creator?

Etc.

Etc.

Lee Nordling
03-18-2017, 12:57 AM
The question here, Maverick, wasn't whether the submission Cyclops made was appropriate to the publishers (though we all know how important that is to getting a positive response), it was about which indie accept submissions and with a note about which publishers had not yet responded.

As noted, some publishers just don't respond unless they're interested; in fact, that's part of Image's submission guidelines; don't call us, we'll call you.

Personally, I HATE this policy, regardless of whom it's from; it's cowardly and unprofessional.

Hey, I have "friends" I've known for over twenty years NOT responding to submissions, submissions they agreed to review, and I HATE that more than you can possibly imagine.

The sad reality is that we can't make editors respond to our emails; and in some future revenge fantasy we can make them pay for it when we don't give them what they'd like us to give them.

For now, we deal with it as best we can.

But back to the reason I responded to this discussion: let's not change the subject and ignore the new reality: the old reality of expecting a response to our submissions does not necessarily apply today, and if we don't get a response, we should probably not overreact (as I've done in the past to people who promised to respond).

On the flip side, there are still some great editors out there who will respond, and in a timely manner.

So professionalism isn't as dead as it might seem to be.

Stewart Vernon
03-18-2017, 08:59 PM
I'm actually fine with the "we don't respond unless we're interested" process. Assuming they get a lot of submissions, they could get bogged down with all the rejections if they handled each one personally.

Since we're generally talking about unsolicited submissions here... by which I mean, nobody called you and asked you to send samples... and you didn't schedule an interview/appointment... then I'm fine with assuming no response = no interest.

I wish, however, that places would acknowledge receipt of your submissions. There is always that part of you that wonders "what if" they just didn't get your email or snail mail... maybe nobody ever saw it... So, even an automated "thanks for your submission, you will not hear from us again unless we are interested" response would be nice.

maverick
03-20-2017, 12:03 PM
I did submit to Image once back in 2009 or 2010, and I did get a reply, albeit about 6 or 7 months later. I forget who was EIC at the time (Erik Larsen?), but I do remember appreciating the fact I received an actual response.

I've heard Action Lab is pretty quick about getting back to people, no clue about the others.

Bulletboy-Redux
03-24-2017, 05:15 AM
yeah I submitted something to Image once, and in the time it took to get a response I found another publisher and actually made the book. That was pretty funny.

I get it though. They undoubtedly get way more submissions than they can handle, so I don't take it personally.

In most cases what's being rejected is the art, because that's the first thing they look at, and its also the last thing they look at if they dont like it. If a project keeps getting rejected I take that a sign that I have to improve the art

jwadd
03-25-2017, 02:36 AM
thanks for making this thread I was about to ask the same thing. I think response time is a major indicator in a professional relationship.

I realize every teenager who reads naruto probably submits something at some point, and there is a high volume, but i think the people that come to these forums probably can tell if theyre producing absolute garbage or not.

So Action Lab is my best bet?