PDA

View Full Version : Sequential artist needed - $125.00 a page/cover

Val
02-03-2017, 06:29 PM
Hi everyone! :)

My name is Val Staples. I've been working in comics for over 15 years. Most people know me as a colorist, especially recently on Marvel's Deadpool. But I've also written and published comics during my time in this industry.

Here's an interview with me from a few years back (http://www.comicsbeat.com/interview-val-staples-discusses-life-as-a-freelance-colourist/).
And here's my credit list from my years of work in comics (http://www.comicbookdb.com/creator.php?ID=784).
I'm also one of the Admins on this site.

I'm working on a comic that I'm writing and to which I will be applying a limited color palette to the lineart. It's a Gothic supernatural thriller, that deals with teens, romance, and our own mortality. Please keep in mind the story is about mood, and not about scares and gore.

I'm looking for an awesome illustrator who is a story-telling master. I'm open to seeing different styles, but what I'd prefer to see is someone who mixes elements of eastern Asian art (Fairy Tail, Ao Haru Ride [for figure work], Tokyo Ghoul [for atmosphere].. are good examples),
mixed with some American comics influence. Especially for backgrounds. Doing really good backgrounds is just as important as expressive, well-done character work.

I'm leaning towards a female illustrator just because I want someone who can connect with a woman's perception and struggles. But that doesn't mean male artists are going to be immediately rejected. Bottom line: if you're looking to draw short skirts and cleavage, this is NOT the book for you. I want someone who wants to bring a lot of substance to the table. Characterization over carnality.

I need someone who is great at drawing people, outfits, expressionism, and definitely creating atmospheric and gorgeous backgrounds, with lots of mood, especially somber and foreboding. You need to be experienced and talented, and can jump into this work-for-hire project being able to create a world that holds its own with Marvel and DC books. So, if you're right out of school and still struggle with 2-point perspective, no offense, but this definitely is NOT the project for you.

Since the lineart will carry the story telling and the color is just there to accent the mood from time to time, the ability to tone your own work, and deliver inked, finished pages is important. 600 dpi TIFs to be uploaded to my FTP.

You are doing the lineart yourelf. So, very clean pencils, or inked by your hand, the end result is the final product would need to be completed by you so it can go straight to color.

This project has a guaranteed page rate of $125.00 a page for 20 pages of story each month. And you need to be able to deliver 20 pages a month without question, plus a possible cover that also pays $125.00.

The caveat is payment will be made at the end of the month following publication of the issue. We'll be working in advance of release date by a few months. So it could be upwards of 5 months before you get paid for the first issue. BUT, it'll be coming in monthly thereafter as you finish each issue, so if you're on board, then it's regular pay month-to-month once the cycle starts.

I will pay by PayPal when the money is available to send.

You have to sign a non disclosure agreement before any exploration of design is started. And if you're right for the project, you have to sign a work-for-hire agreement before the project begins.

This is a project I really want to carry for at least 30 issues. There's no guarantee it'll go that long, but that's my goal. So I need someone who can commit for a long period of time.

Despite the initial delay in payment, this is a serious rate, so I expect to see serious samples.

So if you're talented, eager, and can hang in there for about 5 months before the money starts coming in, then this might be the project for you.

Please PM me here on the forums (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=9084) if you are interested, and please include no more than ten links that take me directly to page samples with each link.
If you send me more than ten, or a general link to your site, you will be ignored because you obviously can't follow instructions, and that's a red flag right away.
:laugh:
Also, if you have past or current credentials, please include those as well. Experience is a plus.

Thanks everyone, and I'm looking forward to hearing from you.