PDA

View Full Version : Editorial services

joshdahl
02-01-2017, 07:57 PM
Hi,
My name is Josh and I am a comic writer and educator.
In the past year, I have begun to offer my services as script support and writing consultant.

I want your feedback, as writers.
What do you want from editorial services?
What do you NOT want?
How much is that worth to you?
How does my page look? www.makebettercomics.com
Do you think there is enough demand for something like this to work?

Thanks,
Josh

paul brian deberry
02-02-2017, 07:54 PM
Hi Josh

Freelance editors are in the same boat as writers. Good luck.

Steven Forbes
02-02-2017, 07:58 PM
I do decently as an editor. Not enough to go full time, but it's a nice bonus when the work comes in.

B-McKinley
02-03-2017, 12:37 PM
Well I paid about $190 for my developmental editing package, which is probably closest to your script support package. I took advantage of a 50%-off sale so I guess I'm willing to pay between $200-400. That's for a 72-page comic (about 100 typed pages, 10,887 words). My editor bills by the word.

Your site is very clean, but it seems like navigation between the sections is missing, i.e. I can't get from services back to the home page.

The things I'd like to see are: What is the content of the free assessment? How much are you willing to read for free? What are the rates for the paid services? What sort of experience do you have editing?

I don't know if there's enough demand. I will say that personally I found it really frustrating that people you go to looking for feedback seem disinterested in script-only so that's why I found someone to pay for that.

Steven Forbes
02-03-2017, 05:36 PM
I do script-only. It helps.

Steve Colle
02-16-2017, 02:41 AM
Hi, Josh.

Yes, there is a need and demand for editorial services, but it's a matter of marketing yourself properly. Part of that will be your 'base of operations' which is, in your case, your website. Everything you do with social media, word of mouth, and other promotional methods will bring you to that site as you've established it.

From my perspective, I found your website doesn't do the job just yet. Visually, it's very basic in my opinion, with fonts and graphics that don't represent the industry you're selling your services for. This needs to be worked on, especially given your pitch is "Make Better Comics".

Another thing that captured my attention was punctuation (overuse of commas), run-on sentences, and the lack of strength in some of your wording. Taken from your Services page intro:

Make Better Comics offers a variety of services to help you make better comics. Regardless of where you are in the production process, we are ready to get you to the next stage and the next level.
Choose the service that's right for you, or book a free assessment and we'll help you pick the service that suits you best.

Given that you don't specify what aspect of comic production you're offering your services for on your home page or in the first paragraphs - writing, for example - you need to better choose your words. Here's what I came up with off the top of my head:

At MAKE BETTER COMICS, we offer services to writers that will enhance your process and strengthen your scripts through the following methods:

The above avoids cliche like Make Better Comics helps you make better comics, something that your name is already stating. It also takes out "the next stage and the next level" which is saying the same thing twice, but with different words. Likewise the phrasing "we are ready to get you to" doesn't provide the same level of strength or promise on your end that "we can" or - even better - "we will get you to" does. And should it be "get you to" or "get your work to"? Their work is what is strengthened through your services, not them directly. If you are editing their script and making changes to enhance clarity, meaning, or just plain proofreading, you are making the work better. If you are teaching them how to write better, then you are providing them the skills to see their own mistakes and correct them accordingly. Wording is everything. Finally, here is where I saw mistakes with punctuation and run-on sentences:

Make Better Comics offers a variety of services to help you make better comics. Regardless of where you are in the production process, we are ready to get you to the next stage and the next level.
Choose the service that's right for you, (Take out comma) or book a free assessment (Period) and (Take out for new sentence) We'll help you pick the service that suits you best.

You also need to better identify what services you are offering: is it just for script editing or are you including pitch and cover letter consultation? How expansive are your services: proofreading, copy editing, developmental editing, etc.? Do you teach how to write scripts - providing optional formatting styles - or do you let them figure that out on their own? The list goes on. Right now it doesn't tell us much.

I'm a freelance comic book editor/writer/instructor as well through my business Editor's Eye View Freelance Services and do get a fair amount of business. Exposure through social media, public forums, appearances through broadcast media, online and face-to-face workshops, and many other methods can do a more effective job than your website can alone. And speaking of your website, Linda Coles, in her book "Marketing with Social Media: 10 Easy Steps to Success for Business", had this to say about designing a website:

"Let's look at the home page of your website first. Does it do either of the following:

grab your attention visually
grab your attention with its headline?"

This book is a valuable resource for developing a strategy for marketing your editing business. Another great book is "Selling the Invisible: A Field Guide to Modern Marketing" by Harry Beckwith, which has the following as the tagline on the back cover: How do you sell and develop something that you can't touch, hear, or see? That's the problem with services. This is a fantastic read with approachability and humour.

As I close, I'd like to say that your experience/body of work and the relationship you build with any potential clients will help create confidence in your skills and how you deal with others. That and seeing you are careful to edit your own material. :)