PDA

View Full Version : Character Designer Wanted for Children's Book

COsman
01-12-2017, 03:27 PM
Hello there character artist,

My name is Chris Osman and I am a writer, illustrator, and children's book publisher. I work closely with A.J. Cosmo and Thought Bubble Publishing on direct to market projects. So far we have hired two illustrators from Digital Webbing. One's work has already wound up published in "It's Ok to Hug," while the other one's book has yet to release. You can see out full library at www.ajcosmo.com (http://www.ajcosmo.com)

For this project, we are looking for a set of character designs for an upcoming children's book. This job is not for the illustrations of the book, just for the creation of the character sheets. We are looking at five to twelve characters needed for an ongoing series. Each of the characters are based off of a child version of a famous scientist. Examples include Newton, Galileo, Leonardo Da'Vinci and more recent figures such as Pavlov, Stephen Hawking, and Neil deGrasse Tyson. The final list is not set but we will have them for you by the time you are hired.

The style we are looking for is something along the lines of Muppet Babies, Precious Moments, or the Campbells Soup Children. Basically, the features should be soft, accessible, friendly, and look good illustrated in watercolor. This will be a picture book, so the age range is six and under. Another thing to note is that the children should all be dressed according to their adult versions in the period that they came from. So Newton would be wearing clothing from the seventeen hundreds while Pavlov would have a Soviet Era outfit.

We are primarily looking for pencil and ink sketches, however, if you want to add color it would be more than welcome.

Pay for the project is $12 per character sketch paid out after each character is completed. Payments will be made via PayPal and will be sent within twenty-four hours of approval of the design. You may send your own invoice or we can provide you one. Revisions on the sketches will be limited to only one per character. Please deliver the files in high resolutions jpeg, tiff, or even Photoshop (PSD), whatever you are most comfortable working with.

If for some reason the designs are not working out, we will pay you for the work you have done so far and the work will end there.

To apply, simply send a link to a portfolio with similar work and a short introductory statement. Your experience doesn't matter to us as much as your drawing style, so this is a great entry level project. You will also be credited in the final book as the character artist and I will make sure you get a copy whenever it is printed.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me at chris@thoughtbubblepublishing.com

Thanks!
Chris Osman

[a href="Mailto: chris@thoughtbubblepublishing.com"]chris@thoughtbubblepublishing.com[/URL]
www.ajcosmo.com (http://www.ajcosmo.com)

*Please do not message me on Digital Webbing, as it is rarely checked. Also, please do not message if you do not have any work like the above mentioned. While I would like to give everyone a chance, it works better if your style is similar. In other words, if you only do zombies and superheroes this probably isn't a good fit.

COsman
01-16-2017, 09:25 AM
Thank you to everyone that applied. We have selected an artist so the position is filled and this post is now closed.

I wanted to add a few tips to help artists that apply for future jobs with myself and other companies.

1. Please do not use links that require a login with a service to see the images. This includes web pages like Pinterest, Instagram, and FaceBook. There's a good chance that the person hiring will either not be logged in or not use the service at all and your portfolio will not even be viewed due to inconvenience.

2. Make your introduction short. One to four sentences. Anything else will usually not be read due to the volume of emails job posters receive.

3. Make sure that your art matches what the job poster is asking for. This was for a children's book, however, I received plenty of zombies, superheroes, and violent imagery. Even if you have a wide range, try to highlight specific art that matches what the poster is looking for. Remember that the job poster is trying to find an artist that matches what they have in mind. They are looking for style more than skills.

I hope that helps you with future postings. Again, thank you for applying and I wish you all the best of luck.

Chris