PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Question

the creeper
01-07-2017, 10:51 PM
Hi! I anticipate purchasing a glass top drawing table and wonder if anyone can advise me on a good clip on lamp to use (from underneath) when using it as a light table; I don't want to waste money on a lamp that isn't bright enough. Also any advice on the same kind of lamp for overhead use would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Scribbly
01-07-2017, 11:09 PM
Shouldn't you check that before buying the table?
I wouldn't recommend buying a glass top drawing table and make a light table of it. But if you do, get something to protect your eyes from blindness. Some white contact paper or else covering the glass. Any clamp lamp w flexible neck and a white cold light bulb 60 watts would make it.

the creeper
01-07-2017, 11:42 PM
Thanks! I generally place a large piece of (non-bristol) drawing paper under whatever I'm working on, and then there would be pencils on 2 ply bristol and another piece of 2 ply bristol on top for inking, so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't pose any more risk than using a standard lightbox or light table...I DO get confused between wattage and lumens...I'm looking at buying an LED lamp rather than a standard bulb...

the creeper
01-07-2017, 11:44 PM
On an unrelated subject, I can't seem to upload a profile pic of any sort, even a small file...or for some reason can I not see my own profile pic?

Scribbly
01-08-2017, 01:03 AM
Thanks! I generally place a large piece of (non-bristol) drawing paper under whatever I'm working on, and then there would be pencils on 2 ply bristol and another piece of 2 ply bristol on top for inking, so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't pose any more risk than using a standard lightbox or light table...I DO get confused between wattage and lumens...I'm looking at buying an LED lamp rather than a standard bulb...
Then you need a LED of 800 lumens.
For picks check the user's FAQ.

the creeper
01-08-2017, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the tip! As well, I see what you mean as regards protecting my eyes; I was thinking of using a piece of frosted plexiglass to diffuse the light. The tables I am considering all have retractable steel pencil ledges that lock into place that would (hopefully) hold it when the surface is at an angle and I have found pieces of frosted plexi selling via Amazon in various sizes that would work.

I am returning to drawing after a period of almost 10 years and have forgotten quite a bit; as well there have been many changes in so far as what's available in terms of tools, materials, etc...

Apparently I was confusing my profile pic with my "Avatar" which is why I couldn't see it...

Is there a way to adjust my settings so that when someone replies to a question I've posted I'll be notified via email (rather than having to continually check back to see if there are replies)?

I see you live in Salem, MA...I lived in Boston for almost 30 years and always enjoyed visiting Salem :) Thanks again for your help :)