PDA

View Full Version : 2016- Ten Year Gap

Effess
12-30-2016, 06:57 PM
While cleaning up a large pile of old drawings, I found an old comic page piece I made in school 10 years ago. It was originally part of a 4 page assignment, but I couldn't find the other 3 pages. When I presented this piece and the others to the class, I had a sense of pride until the class and the teacher looked at them only in confusion, followed by them telling me to go look at more graphic novels harder. Now this month, 10 years and plenty of graphic novel ownership later, I figured I'd ask myself, what would this page look like if I drew the page again currently? I kept the paper to the same size, and used mostly the same materials plus a white on black ink pen. This is what happened. It's times like this seeing some sort of progress that I have a better than small feeling of continuing forward. I wish everyone a great new year. May we all press forward in our work and ability.

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg636/lkbird/portenyear_zpscgig58g2.jpg

The Spirit
12-30-2016, 07:01 PM
Vast improvement! The texture and shadows, body language, facial expressions. You should be proud. It was a good experiment and it really teaches.

Bishop
12-30-2016, 07:53 PM
That is fantastic! As an artist, nothing compares to looking back on pieces you were proud of in the past. It's amazing how they don't quite live up to our memory...