PDA

View Full Version : Page count per issue for a floppy?

Lee Nordling
12-22-2016, 01:09 PM
Hi, folks.

I'm looking for insight from those of you who frequent the comic book shops more than I do (these days).

I'm putting together a miniseries for the Direct Market, and most of my work the last few years has been for the book trade.

A few years back, 22 pages of comics for a 32-page floppy was "standard," but I don't know if it was enforced for creator-owned projects for publishers like Image or Dark Horse or Oni.

I hear that 20 pages per book is happening now from major comics publishers.

Do ANY of you know if there is resistance to 24 or 26 pages per issue?

I do know that ads often fill out the issues, and they're a revenue source for publishers, but I don't know IF IF IF 24 or 26 pages of comics per issue for a three-book series would be perceived as a non-starter.

I'm asking not just because it's good to know the "standard"; I'm asking because we're going to produce the entire series BEFORE trying to sell it...so getting info/perspective on this, based SOLELY ON WHAT PUBLISHERS ARE DOING, will really help.

One added note: please don't tell me what YOU'D do in this situation; that really won't be helpful, even though the willingness to advise would be appreciated. I know what I WANT to do (get more pages); I'm looking for information about what PUBLISHERS are doing and not doing so that I don't get myself into a situation where we need to revise a finished book.

For those you wondering WHY I would take a book to finish without selling it first, it's because SOMEtimes that's the only way to show how dramatically compelling an idea can be, and SOMEtimes we just have to put ourselves out there for an idea we believe in.

Thanks for any and all thoughts.

--Lee

Scribbly
12-22-2016, 02:12 PM
No matter how many pages the book may have.
If you are the writer they will approve it right away. IMHO.

B-McKinley
12-22-2016, 03:49 PM
I counted pages of content in some books I buy back in the summer because I was curious for my own project. It was mostly Image (Saga, Paper Girls, so on). What I came up with was that the comic content varied between 20-26 pages. The remainder of the 32 pages was mostly editorial content (letters, essays, behind the scenes, etc.)

The books I looked at never had more than 1-2 pages of ads. And all of those were 'house' ads so there's no revenue involved.

Page count would actually fluctuate in the same series some one month it's 20 pages, the next it's 26.

Lee Nordling
12-23-2016, 10:52 AM
Thanks, guys!

That info works well with my hopes and expectations.

I hope 2017 brings you everything you're wishing for!

--Lee