PDA

View Full Version : Ink Skipping?

NatMatt
12-21-2016, 09:07 PM
Last month, I bought the Deleter starter pens which includes the G-Pen, Saji-Pen and my favorite, the Maru-Pen. I've been inking like hell with the Maru-Pen and have completed one very detailed two paged spread. At first, the pen was beyond flawless. The precision of the lines were incredible to say the least and the line weight varied from razor thin to considerably thick. As recent as a few weeks ago, I noticed a deterioration in the quality of the pen. It has a tendency to skip lines now, no longer has the same control over line weight and is a real struggle to work with. How is this possible? The pen is barely a month old and it already has complications. At first, I thought it was the ink. I use Black Star Matte which has a tendency to be very thick and dark. But I confirmed that it was the pen after using the Saji-Pen to find that it inks without issue. It's very strange that this is happening considering how well I clean it after use. I use water to wash out the wet ink and dry it with a paper towel thoroughly. I make sure to pop it off the nub holder after use every time. The pen should not be having these issues. Does anyone know the lifespan of these pens? Have you had experience with these types of issues? If so, do you have any tips to fixing it? As much as I would love to buy another Maru-Pen, they unfortunately ship from Japan and take weeks to arrive. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you.

paul brian deberry
12-26-2016, 10:14 PM
excellent question my friend... i sadly cannot help you. i hope someone here can... we do have a inking forum you might ask the question their... I asked a few inking friends to jump online if they had a chance.

Scribbly
12-27-2016, 03:13 AM
A good brand crowquill pen should last at least one job of 22 pages. Sometimes less. Is about the pressure-velocity when working some lines. Hunt 102 are equals to Marus in concept. These were called map pens. I don't know about the Maru's quality. If quality is good, to buy by the dozen is good business.
A good brush well used can go along 4 jobs. Maybe more for an expert. With chance to be used for making thick lines and for filling blacks afterwards.
Pen brushes last more with care and refill.
Felt pens until dry.
Rotrings or mechanical pens last years with good care.