PDA

View Full Version : Help! Adding contrast to scans in Illustrator.

blahblah1984
12-18-2016, 11:10 AM
Hello Comic Pros,

I am doing some lettering on a low budget project for a zine. I scanned the page (done on white paper, then inked with a ballpoint pen). The with the first scan, I was able to find a effect that darkened the lines and smoothed out the white of the page. I can't remember how I did this.

When I did the second page, it was without this contrast effect, and the lines look grey and washed out, especially in contrast to 100 K balloons and gutters. Ideas? Help?

Chad

Lucas.Gattoni
12-19-2016, 07:12 AM
Hey Chad! If the art is only black lineart (no grays), the best way to scan it is as a monochrome image (on a high resolution).

If you already did it as a grayscale image, you should edit the image in Photoshop and use the Levels tool (The automatic setting should probably work).

If you need to edit the image in Illustrator (which would usually not be recommended, since for that you'd have to insert the image and your external file would not keep these changes), you should try to play a bit with the settings in the menu EDIT > EDIT COLORS.

Or else, reconvert the image to monochrome with the menu OBJECT > RASTERIZE and set it to Bitmap mode (which is composed only of black and white pixels, no grayscale).

Hope this helped!

Hello Comic Pros,

I am doing some lettering on a low budget project for a zine. I scanned the page (done on white paper, then inked with a ballpoint pen). The with the first scan, I was able to find a effect that darkened the lines and smoothed out the white of the page. I can't remember how I did this.

When I did the second page, it was without this contrast effect, and the lines look grey and washed out, especially in contrast to 100 K balloons and gutters. Ideas? Help?

Chad

blahblah1984
12-22-2016, 12:41 AM
Hi Lucas!

Thanks for the help. I think it did sharpen the loop of the strip. I went here:

OBJECT > RASTERIZE

I first tried bitmap mode, but it made the lines look blocky and kinda pixilated. It could be a cool effect, but the contrast with the balloons seemed too much. I then adjusted it to greyscale and am much happier with the look of the strip now.

I tried posting examples to my response, but it seems like I need to upload them to another site and copy the link... Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks so much for the help!

-Chad

Lucas.Gattoni
12-22-2016, 07:47 AM
The thing is, if you're going for lineart (only black and white), bitmap mode at a very high resolution is the best (+600 dpi at print size), even if you see the image "pixelated" with zoom.

If you're going digital, then grayscale will do.

Glad it helped!