PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for writing comics....pls

mattvarmo
12-13-2016, 12:23 AM
Hi, I'm Matias, I'm an artist, in the way of be one. Here is the thing, I already have a very good story, I think, I've been working on it since july, and yesterday I started to draw the first page. I don't have problems to draw, I have problems with the script. And is not any problem, is a problem of language. My english is not the best, English is not my main language, so I understand and I can handle it a little but not enough to write a comic. Why I don't publish in my own language or country? because in my country the comic book is not a big medium, so they don't let me publish anything, just humoristics things and comic strip. My history is kind of fantasy. Any way I'm looking for advices about how has to be write a comic book, i mean grammar and that kind of stuff, where I can find a good translator, or someone who like to check the script and tell me if is good or bad. I'll try to publish this, but I can assure nothing, so I can put this thread on wanted jobs looking for a writer because I don't know if someone will pay for this or even if someone will like to print this.
So, I don't know if I was clear, I hope so, basically an advice or two to write good in english. Thanks!!!:)

Scribbly
12-13-2016, 02:48 PM
Have your script written in your first language. Get the full artwork done. Get somebody w experience working the translation for you.

Marta
12-14-2016, 07:18 PM
I agree with Scribbly. Perfect the story in your native language. Get feedback on it while writing it. Then consider translation.

It's possible to write it in English first by partnering with another writer whose first language is English, but you'll have far less control over the story. You could also line up an editor to work on it, but it might require a lot more work than you think, particularly if you're revising it a lot in English.

I've worked as an editor with people whose first language is not English, but they are typically already good writers, are comfortable writing in English, and have also written scripts in their native language.

mattvarmo
12-15-2016, 03:04 PM
Ok, Thanks for the advices. I'll write it in spanish first and finish the whole story, then I will see how to translate. I don't have problems writing, the problem is that you need to know a lot of grammar to write something good, and I don't have that knowledge of english grammar.
I think about that, how much my story can change if someone else write it, maybe can lose the heart of the feeling that i wanted to give it.
Thanks again!!

paul brian deberry
12-15-2016, 06:24 PM
agreed. most importantly. don't let the process get in the way of writing. just write and the rest will come if you work hard enough.

Marta
12-16-2016, 01:28 PM
Ok, Thanks for the advices. I'll write it in spanish first and finish the whole story, then I will see how to translate. I don't have problems writing, the problem is that you need to know a lot of grammar to write something good, and I don't have that knowledge of english grammar.

You might find a bigger readership than you think with a story written in Spanish.

mattvarmo
12-16-2016, 03:38 PM
You might find a bigger readership than you think with a story written in Spanish.

Maybe, but I can't do that the comic reach those who could read it, the most people that I know who read comics in spanish, I mean people from latin america or spain, they just want to read superheroes comic or japanese comic, maybe they give a chance to read some comic from authors who make a comics that they love once, but for somebody who is not known is hard to reach that readers.
I know that sounds weird maybe, but if you do a comic is because you want that someone read it, no? and I don't want waste my time doing something that will finish in the dark, at least I want that a few people read it, even if they hate it.
obviously I will do it in spanish too, but I don't bet to much on that.

Scribbly
12-16-2016, 07:37 PM
Maybe you can create a Spanish superhero!
Superheroes have no frontiers. Neither language barriers.
Lot of evil, crime and corruption to fight in any Spanish speaking country .

mattvarmo
12-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Maybe you can create a Spanish superhero!
Superheroes have no frontiers. Neither language barriers.
Lot of evil, crime and corruption to fight in any Spanish speaking country .

I don't like the superhero comics, I mean, I like read it, but not do it, is the same thing always, and sounds kind of bored draw everyday a guy in suit punching another. But thanks any way for all the advices.

Scribbly
12-20-2016, 11:50 AM
The best advice is whatever you do, start it out with positive attitude.
Keep this attitude until the end of the project, when everything gets done, and ultimately things will come out very good for you.
At any level.