PDA

View Full Version : Comics webinars

Lee Nordling
10-27-2016, 12:01 PM
Hi, all.

This is for those of you who are familiar with my recent book that we've been discussing, "Comics Creator Prep."

First, I'm not asking anybody here to buy anything or buy into the idea.

I need some input about a business proposal that's been presented to me, and you are uniquely familiar with who I am and what I can do to offer valued advice.

I won't discuss print-points, because that's more of a marketing decision; I want to discuss PERCEIVED NEED, meaning, "Are there creators out there who would think this project is worth an investment of time and (some amount of) money?" (Again, I'm not asking anybody here to buy into this.)

The idea, unvarnished: online webinars that teach important aspects of comics, probably extensions of what I did in "Comics Creator Prep."

The titles below were pitched TO me, and I'd want to narrow the focus more towards what I teach in the book.

1) FREE 1-hour TELESEMINAR introduction to present myself, what I've done, not only in my career, but also with creators. And then give an example of that and what's to come with a mini-tutorial.

2) WRITE GREAT COMICS (the proposed title), or CREATE COMICS THAT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOUR SUPERPOWERS or CREATING COMICS THAT REFLECT YOUR GOALS.

3) THE BUSINESS OF SELLING YOUR COMICS or SELL YOUR COMICS (the proposed titles), or SETTING YOUR COURSE FOR YOUR CAREER IN COMICS or YOUR CAREER IN COMICS.

4) CREATE YOUR PITCH (which is currently being serialized by Creative Screenwriting...the first of two of which is available for free at http://creativescreenwriting.com/pitch-1/ )

5) UNDERSTANDING HOLLYWOOD (which would follow the two Hollywood chapters towards the end of the book).

Anyway, these webinars would have an interactive component, so creators could contribute and get specific feedback.

So, the question: do any of you think there is or isn't value in this?

Thanks for your time and attention.

--Lee

JamesVenhaus
10-27-2016, 12:59 PM
I'd be very interested in any or all of these. I'm working my way through your book now, and I'm finding it very useful!

A couple of quick suggestions on your webinar titles:
WRITE GREAT COMICS is a great title. Clear and to the point.
CREATE COMICS THAT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOUR SUPERPOWERS (a little trite and/or gimmicky)
CREATING COMICS THAT REFLECT YOUR GOALS (sounds a little bit too much like "business speak" to me)

Other than that, I would say go for it. I think there is a strong market for this. I look forward to hearing more about these webinars in the future.

ayalpinkus
10-27-2016, 01:25 PM
There's a market for that. ComicsExperience already does something similar, successfully I believe. The courses are a couple hundred bucks for a series of live online courses with homework, and feedback. The courses are great and well-attended.

PencilKing has great couraes too, for a monthly fee you have unlimited access.

So I think there's a market for it, but I have not done thorough research on it so I may be wrong.

ayalpinkus
10-27-2016, 01:55 PM
There are more: schoolism, proko. Granted, they are aimed at artists but they seem to be successful, and most of them seem to benefit from an online forum where students can interact.

ayalpinkus
10-27-2016, 02:08 PM
And further to that, yes, while reading your book, a classroom-in-abook, I found myself wishing there was a class (webinar with homework and feedback) like you are proposing here.

ayalpinkus
10-28-2016, 03:45 AM
I forgot one: artmentors.com just offered a fall course for around 3,000 dollars, seems to be well-attended too.

Having said that, the demographics of beginning art creators may be quite different from the demographics of the starting comics creators, when it comes to age and in disposable income they can spend on courses and their outlook on whether they think they need an education.

I believe the only real way to find out if there is a market is to put out product and see how the market reacts. No one can predict beforehand what will be successful, or they'd be instantly rich. Like William Goldman said: "Nobody knows anything."

But for what it's worth, I'd see the value of such a course.

Michael Ford
10-28-2016, 03:29 PM
I would be totally up for it. You know your stuff and learning just a fraction of that would be a huge help for a guy like me. However... this is lacking a bit of information.

What do you mean by webinars? I know that it is an online seminar, but even seminar is a vague term. Would this be like a private workshop where there is a lot of interaction? Is it more like a podcast where you will mainly be talking and answering some questions? Were you planning on making this like an online lecture that similar to what universities do? Or is this going to be something completely different?

paul brian deberry
10-28-2016, 08:55 PM
I would be interested. Speaking from experience. I do think that these sorta things are only worth the price if you can take away something other than "knowledge" and a meaningless I attended this webinar t-shirt.

Lee Nordling
10-29-2016, 10:23 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, folk, and more thoughts are welcome.

I expect aspects of the webinar(s) to be interactive, and I expect there to be homework/assignments, and feedback on the assignments.

How will it/they be structured?

Not sure yet, but I know that it needs to offer more potential for learning than the book, or it's a waste of creators' money.

That's why I put out this query, because if I know what people want/need, then it helps me keep the ship steered in that direction (or those directions).

So more is welcome.

And IF you have any specific ideas for what you'd like to see pursued FROM "Comics Creator Prep," now's a good time to share your thoughts.

Again, thanks.

ayalpinkus
10-30-2016, 01:32 AM
I forgot two:

Frank Santoro's Comics Workbook, held on Tumblr, multi-week course, homework, feedback, students share their work on Tumblr.

How To Make a Comic on MOOC (Massive Open Online Courses), seems well-attended too.

I think it was the book "Art and Fear" that claimed in the last chapter that art teachers are among the best-paid artists :-)

As to what I'd want from a course:
1) find out if there is something specific I do wrong in every script.
2) a tangible end result, like a script I can hold that's ready to be drawn.
3) yearly quick refresher course.

ayalpinkus
10-30-2016, 01:41 AM
Oh, one more idea: find out up-front what the studrnts' goals are and tailor the course to their goals. I discovered in the ComicsExperience courses that surprisingly many students were not actually interested in "breaking in", which is fair enough, there isn't much money in comics anyway. We had people from Hollywood, children book artists and such attending.

Steven Forbes
11-02-2016, 06:45 PM
In my current job, I do customer support for a website that gives continuing education in the medical field. There are videos, there are webinars, there are exams, and those that pass get a certificate. The beauty of it is that the material and the exams have to contain a certain amount of information to help the students maintain a minimum amount of knowledge, and that the points are accredited.

Aside from talking to students, what would this webinar give? Will it be actionable, repeatable, and able to be referenced at a later time? to rephrase Paul, will the students be able to walk away with something besides knowledge?

Right now, my partner Tyler James is teaching a course on how to build an engaging email list, and that course leads to how to build a (successful) Kickstarter. The theory is that if you build the former, you can have the latter, but the course has actionable aspects to it that are both repeatable and able to be referenced later.

I see value in the webinar, but only if it contains those three aspects.

And now, back to writing. The end of the year is coming up fast.

-Steven