PDA

View Full Version : Superman comic page; Open to critique

Vict13
10-18-2016, 10:48 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here, but I'm aspiring to be a professional. Any feedback would be much appreciated: what I did right, what I did wrong, etc.

This was based on the following prompt: Superman flies madly down towards downtown Phoenix (Arizona) where a bus filled with passengers is hijacked by a famous Superman villain who is flooring it and is speeding towards the capitol building with the plan of crashing the bus. Passengers are panicked, and stop the page to keep the reader on the edge, just before Superman is able to grasp and get the control of the bus.
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-I2EuOnrXsqs/WARXLpAtfDI/AAAAAAAAAB0/LlPc1nmzagkt7S3jy9ZAEcPrWHLahYxOACLcB/s1600/super_smaller.jpg
I chose to make the supervillan Metallo, since he was the only one I could imagine stealing a city bus.

As far as the process behind this page goes: I started out by drawing the three main backgrounds of the page (the city, the capitol, and the bus interior) separately from the figures. Then I composited them together, adjusting the sizes as needed in photoshop. I then printed out the composited page in a rough six panel grid format. The final step was tightening up the rough on a clean sheet of paper with the live area and gutter sizes I was going for.

Michael Ford
10-21-2016, 02:30 PM
You definitely have a style. It has a retro feel to it, which stays consistent throughout the page. There are a lot of stories that aim for this kind of look, so if you continue to improve then there may be a lot of gigs for you in the future. However, neither DC nor Marvel use the retro look anymore. They might for an occasional book, but that is rare. So it depends on what kind of professional you wish to be. If you want to work for the Big Two then it may be best to aim for a more modern look. If you want to be more in the independent side of comics then this retro style could work fine.

There are a lot of positives in this page. Superman's muscles all look anatomically correct and Metallo's appearance definitely looks functional, I can easily imagine a robot of that design being able to move around fluidly. You also gave Metallo a lot of interesting expressions, which is a pleasant surprise considering he is a robot.

For improvements, I would say that the biggest thing to work on is straight lines. There are several instances in the background where an object is not drawn with a straight line (the metal support bars on the bus) or the line goes off in a different angle than it should be (edges of the buildings). These are minor details that you wouldn't notice from a quick glance, but they become more obvious after a closer look.

Superman's pose in panel 1 is also a problem. His chest should be turned further away from the audience rather than facing them. His pose makes too big of a shift from this panel to the next, as does the background. It looks like a lot of time has passed between panel one and two since there are so many differences. Personally, I like panel 2 more so I would suggest making panel 1 more like that. And a minor note, Superman should have a belt or something to help divide his torso. His costume is more visually appealing when it isn't just blue spandex.

If you continue doing prompts like this, please show us them. As I said, there are a lot of positive aspects and you are good with expressions. We look forward to your progress.

Vict13
10-26-2016, 05:15 PM
Thank you, Michael Ford! Really appreciate the time you took to give me some feedback. I'll definitely keep practicing and working towards improving.

It's interesting that you said that I have a retro look to my page, I actually get that a bit. It might be the rendering. I also see what you're saying about the lines, I'll try to keep them straight with a ruler next time.