PDA

View Full Version : Writer Looking for Colorist ($35/pg) & Letterer ($15/pg)

tatumsmash
10-18-2016, 02:54 AM
Hey, everyone. Iím Tatum (or James), and Iím looking for a colorist and letterer to collaborate on a 22 page first issue. The goal is to finish the issue completely and then use it as both a submission to publishers as well as a jumping off point for a Kickstarter campaign.

This is a paid gig following your standard work-for-hire arrangement. I pay you for the work and then I retain the rights to the work though you can feel free to use whatever you create in your portfolio. If we get picked up by a publisher, Iíd be willing to revisit this. You would of course be credited on anything produced.

For now Iím interested mainly in colors & letters. For Coloring, the page rate would be $35. For Lettering, it's $15. Previous publishing experience is a definite plus but lack of experience wonít rule anyone out.

If youíre selected for this gig, youíll need to be able to produce high quality work on a monthly basis. For now, itís just a single issue, but if it gets picked up, itíll be steady work for at least a year and possibly more. In addition to the single issue, you would also need to be willing to work with me on creating art for the Kickstarter. Additional payment for that would be worked out at that time.

Payments would go thusly: you send me a low-res file that we've agreed upon as the completed work + invoice (if required), within 48 hours I send you payment (via PayPal), you send me high-res file. Rinse, wash, repeat.

In addition to the story and the scripting, Iím also working as the creative director of this project: wrangling up interested parties and bringing them together as well as designing the Kickstarter, putting together submissions, securing feedback, and writing writing writing.

Without giving too much away, the story is a modern-day tale about revenge and justice. Our main character, a teenage Amish boy, witnesses his family burned alive in a botched SWAT eviction. He flees and, by chance, finds himself on the streets of New York City, struggling to survive. He is found and taken in by an older, ex-Amish man who teaches him about the modern world. The boy learns that the story of his familyís death has mostly been covered up and so begins to seek revenge on the officers involved. It has both moments of pastoral tranquility and bloody ultra-violence though thereís mostly the former in the first issue. The style I picture when I think of the art would be something distinctly western--no manga--with a focus on realism and the ability to show a characterís emotion through their expressions.

I have no samples of previous scripting work to show, however; I do have the entirety of the first issue pencilled and inked, and I am ready to get this show on the road! I have had some nonfiction work published on my time living in China which you can find here (http://www.clydefitchreport.com/author/james-wilson/).

Whew. Well, I think I've just about checked off all the little boxes needed to submit here. Hopefully all that didn't come off as too stuffy. I love comics, and I've been writing for a long time, but now is the first time in my life that I actually have some money set aside for the specific reason of hiring someone to help me create something awesome.

Please mail all submissions to tatumsmash@gmail.com

Links would be great, but I would ask that you please not submit any files over 1MB. Thanks for reading! I look forward to hearing from you all!

Here's a sample page from the comic (http://imgur.com/a/xDTfk)

tatumsmash
10-20-2016, 11:19 PM
Thanks for everyone that has submitted. I've been inundated with submissions over the last few days, and it'll take me awhile to sort through it all. I'll leave submissions open until Sunday, so keep them coming!

tatumsmash
10-24-2016, 02:16 AM
Thanks to everyone who submitted! I'm shutting down submissions, so I can begin looking through the 120+ submissions. If you submitted anything, I'll let you know by the end of the week what we decided. Thanks!