PDA

View Full Version : Rachel Deering

maverick
10-11-2016, 03:46 PM
What happened to this talented Eisner and Harvey Award-nominated creator who made such a splash on the comics world just a few scant years ago?

Her Twitter is deleted. Her Kickstarter account is deleted. Her Facebook is turned to private. Her Deviantart is a ghost town. Her blog/website has no updates beyond March of this year.

The rumor is she "quit comics."

But why? What could drive such talent away from the industry? What sort of conspiracy is afoot here?

Scribbly
10-11-2016, 04:09 PM
Maybe she found out the truth about what she was looking for.

pandayboss
10-11-2016, 09:26 PM
I just check her sites/profiles and I thought she's very talented indeed. Like Scribbly said maybe she found what she's looking for and not entirely related to comics. I have an editor before who just left the comic business and tried to find his true calling. I'm also thinking of leaving comics as I wanted to pursue more of my art stuff. Comics is a great fun and exciting enterprise but only if one enjoys doing it. :laugh:

MBirkhofer
10-12-2016, 09:57 AM
huh. Dunno. Deleting stuff is odd.

Not updating less so. I'm pretty terrible at keeping social media up to date. too busy working to self promote/update.

one of her last major things was the kickstarter? wonder if that went badly.

Scribbly
10-12-2016, 10:34 AM
huh. Dunno. Deleting stuff is odd.

Not updating less so. I'm pretty terrible at keeping social media up to date. too busy working to self promote/update.

one of her last major things was the kickstarter? wonder if that went badly.

From my POV it didn't . The book she produced is awesome. I bought it online.
excellent material.
I wont be surprised she may be busy working on something amazing right now.
Away from stalkers.

http://theironrachel.deviantart.com/
https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Horror-Anthology-Rachel-Deering/dp/1613779348/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

MBirkhofer
10-12-2016, 10:51 AM
yeah, I mean. My last submission to DA was oct 2015...
I don't have a twitter. (well technically do, but don't think I've made a single post.)
Facebook largely personal, or to follow others. I don't post much..

Work via HiFi, so I don't get creator credit.

But... 2016..

some ongoings/regular, some pickup for late comics/ 1 shots, that I personally worked on.
Bombshells Annual.
Batman VS Superman companion comics. multiple.
DCU Rebirth
Dream Police -Image. series.
Dr Who 11th, 4th, 3rd, 8th, 10th Doctors -Titan comics. multiple whole series.
Future Quest. series.
Green lantern Edge of Oblivion
Green lanterns 3
Harley quinn multiple pickup. 4 or 5 issues this year.
Harley Quinn Little Black Book series.
Harley Quinn Gang of harleys. whole series.
HQ annual.
Jl 3001 series.
KAmandi Challenge
Kfc Colonel Corps.
London horror comic
Metal Men
New Romancer
New Superman whole series.e=
Omega Men
Power rangers.
Scooby Apocalypse. whole series.
Supergirl
Superman/ww
Suicide Squad.
Suicide Squad El Diablo. series.
Starfire Series.
Superman
Superwoman. Series.
Titans hunt. series.
Wonder woman.

We work with Lupachino, Charretier, Porter, and Lopresti often.

so yeah, just because they aren't visible, doesn't mean they aren't prolific or busy. of course in my case, lack of creator credit is a major factor for being a phantom.

There are definitely many creators that abandon comics due to poor pay.
Many colleagues have gone to video games for sure.
Strain is doing writing, now. Works on The Magicians.

vartemis
10-17-2016, 07:14 PM
Sometimes you just realize comics arent worth it as a full time gig. I've pretty much quit it as my main career. I make way more money in film and vfx than I ever did in comics, and my rate was on the higher end. Now I am free to work on friends' projects and personal stuff without worrying about how Im going to pay the bills. I only did 3 projects last year. This year I've done 2 kickstarters and a webcomic.

pandayboss
10-19-2016, 05:50 AM
Sometimes you just realize comics arent worth it as a full time gig. I've pretty much quit it as my main career. I make way more money in film and vfx than I ever did in comics, and my rate was on the higher end. Now I am free to work on friends' projects and personal stuff without worrying about how Im going to pay the bills. I only did 3 projects last year. This year I've done 2 kickstarters and a webcomic.

I couldn't agree more. Now that I'm trying to take comics projects I couldn't get back in with the BIG guys. I've done sending samples and applying online as I know the competition is tough. With the independent ventures, I thought it would be something that I could get into but with minimal pay rate, I still need to find part time job outside to make ends meet. It makes sense to explore other ventures and move away from comic making.

Wow, you're doing film? Amazing! I'm thinking to move into self-publishing my illustrated digests in the near future. :D

Scribbly
10-19-2016, 12:44 PM

The thing is, UNLESS an artist, any, is working for the big mainstream publishers there are not well paid comics projects on sight. Even when working for big publishers, the lapse between getting the next new project assigned AND "ultimately paid" could be dangerous for everyone.
So, not only money, but also timing are the deterrents. And if these are not enough, the audience reception (aka = sales) is also what determines what title, project or artists can stay in the run.
When all these factors are well aligned we are in presence of a "comic's success" and all the people involved on it should deserve our utmost respect.
Criticism with respect , I mean.

Hanzou
10-24-2016, 12:30 AM
Seems like the big comic success stories these days are creators who are using Paetron, Kickstarter, and revenue from books and merchandise. I'm not even sure going to the big 2 is even worth it anymore.

MBirkhofer
10-24-2016, 09:16 AM
So.. no one knows her? or, just not sharing, whats a personal answer?

Scribbly
10-24-2016, 11:17 AM
Seems like the big comic success stories these days are creators who are using Paetron, Kickstarter, and revenue from books and merchandise. I'm not even sure going to the big 2 is even worth it anymore.

Well, as far I know, Rachel actually did a successful Kickstarter with her book.
And probably her nightmares did start when she realized the cost of shipping the printed books to her patrons was overwhelming.
I don't know how she solved it. I remember complains about the book delivery were flying. She sold the project to IDW from were I bought her book. Now she's on the hide. She may have her reasons.
Maybe she is doing well that way. As was said, she's a talented Eisner and Harvey Award-nominated creator.
A smart and talented woman as well.