PDA

View Full Version : IPAD for comics? Drawing completely digitally?

chowmeingott
09-30-2016, 03:26 PM
Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

Iam currently using my IPAD (albeit slowly), making some art with ProCreate, Medibang Paint Pro and Sketchbook Pro. Still learning the processes.

I am concerned about resolution for printing. Anyone have any ideas?

Duane Korslund
09-30-2016, 03:55 PM
Personally, I've never had much luck using tablets to create serious comic art. Its decent for sketching, and low rez type stuff, but if you're trying to do sequentials, or high end HDR art...I've found it lacking. The closest I've come to a working solution is a surface pro 2 and a full version of photoshop. But then, the screen is still too small and I dont have scaling on photoshop cs6 so its kind of a pain. I'd like to try a Surface book...13.3 inch screen I believe...i bet it comes a lot closer, but still small screen, akward plastic feel. I think there's still quite a bit of development before mobile art can come close to a full pc rig with a Cintiq or even an Intuos.
As far as printing goes...I believe IPAD versions do print to full dpi. So it should print according to what you've created. (verify?)

Bishop
09-30-2016, 04:55 PM
I have the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil and I just can't make myself enjoy drawing on it. I much prefer using my Cintiq connected to my Mac.

The Pencil is a nice tool, though. I think my lack of enjoyment comes from a lack of app on the iPad, and trying to hold the iPad and draw at the same time. I think it's only a matter of time before Adobe has a true version of Photoshop for the tablet, and it would be awesome to have Manga Studio on there. Once that happens, I'll likely use my iPad for drawing a lot more.

chowmeingott
10-04-2016, 10:44 AM
Thanks for your reply Bishop and Duane!

I switched to digital a few years ago--was actually using a Fujitsu Windows 7 Tablet that had a Wacom tech installed. Was very nice for a bit, but got too slow.

I saw the ipad, and once I tried it, fell in love with it via Sketchbook Pro and ProCreate. I am still getting used to Medibang Paint--there is a lot one can do in that app alone, and it's free.

One of the drawbacks is that I now have to find a way to install comic book fonts. I'm sure there has to be a workaround.

I've read the Surface Pros, up to V.3 had very low pressure sensitivity, so that kinda helped me make the decision to go the Ipad route.

There are a few other pen tablet machines, like the Sony Tablet (Windows) which looks neat (but expensive), and then Samsungs Note Pro, and Android has Sketchbook Pro and Medibang as well!

Bishop
10-04-2016, 07:15 PM
Yeh, I don't think there is a way to add fonts to an app on the iPad unless they are offered as in app purchases. I love my Cintiq, but that isn't a problem portable solution.

Duane Korslund
10-05-2016, 10:14 AM
I really think that a Surface Book with a 15 to 17 inch screen, and back to using the wacom digitizer would be the Perfect mobile art app. I havent used the Ntrig pen with photoshop yet, and some reports say it really isnt that bad, but still...wacom is wacom...

chowmeingott
10-10-2016, 02:19 PM
I did find a way to add fonts to an IPAD! Whew!

You do have to purchase an app, Anyfont ($ 4.99), and you have to have DropBox. Not a very complicated process either! (So it seems so far!):banana:

And if you go on the ProCreate Forums, you can also find Dialogue Balloons as a brush! Yes!!!

I will follow up when I try to use the fonts I downloaded from Blambot!

And now suddenly things are looking up! Now just to attempt printing my first mostly digital piece...

(BTW Nate Piekos is awesome--what a resource!)

Bishop
10-10-2016, 04:32 PM
I did find a way to add fonts to an IPAD! Whew!

You do have to purchase an app, Anyfont ($ 4.99), and you have to have DropBox. Not a very complicated process either! (So it seems so far!):banana:

And if you go on the ProCreate Forums, you can also find Dialogue Balloons as a brush! Yes!!!

I will follow up when I try to use the fonts I downloaded from Blambot!

And now suddenly things are looking up! Now just to attempt printing my first mostly digital piece...

(BTW Nate Piekos is awesome--what a resource!)

Nice!