PDA

View Full Version : Hulk vs Superman

ArminOzdic
09-29-2016, 01:33 PM
Hey all,

haven't posted in a while, hope everyone is good and drawing a ton! :)

I had this idea for a while and started slowly working on it in between paid work as a fun/sample thing to hopefully get noticed by the big 2.

Here is the first page. Let me know what you guys think.
I've done 4 page layouts for this, so more pages coming soon.

Thanks,
Armin

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s463/ArminOzdic/Hulk_Superman%20Page%201_zps9wagcajt.jpg (http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/ArminOzdic/media/Hulk_Superman%20Page%201_zps9wagcajt.jpg.html)

Michael Ford
09-30-2016, 03:42 PM
Woah, awesome work. Your characters look alive and fluid, which is a huge plus for comic art. It is only one page but I already have a good idea of the story you are telling. I like how your Hulk has a fattier, bulky look to him. It looks more realistic and actually makes him look stronger than if he just had rippling muscles.

My only critiques are on the second panel. It doesn't look consistent to see Superman leaning forward in first panel and then switch to an angle where it looks like he is leaning back. I am also sure that you are planning on making Superman's eyes glow red, but I think that might actually detract from the mood. It looks like you are setting up a good, old fashioned brawl, and the idea of Superman already using heat vision takes away from that. Also, the lines at the edge of Superman's lips look less determined and more curious, like he is thinking of observing the Hulk rather than fighting him.

Please keep the pages coming. This looks fun and it would be cool to see where you take this.

ArminOzdic
09-30-2016, 06:42 PM
Thanks, glad you like it!
After I'm done with all 4 pages I might rework few bits.

Thanks!

ArminOzdic
12-26-2016, 07:28 PM
Here is page two.
Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Armin

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s463/ArminOzdic/Hulk_Superman%20Page%202_zpsugdut5n1.jpg (http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/ArminOzdic/media/Hulk_Superman%20Page%202_zpsugdut5n1.jpg.html)

therafalee
01-07-2017, 10:57 AM
Wow, if you can do pages like this in a day you definitely ready for DC and Marvel, it's probably easier to break in the Big 2 if you get an Agent.

ArminOzdic
01-07-2017, 12:55 PM
@therafalee- Thanks! One to two days...depending on a page. But yeah I can do 20 pages a month. But I usually work long hours and 7 days a week. :D
Getting a good agent seams as hard as braking in with Big 2. If you got any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks again,
Armin

therafalee
01-08-2017, 09:24 AM
7 days a week but looks great, maybe i should take that approach as well.

International Agencies like Glasshouse must be really hard to get, here in Brazil we have many Local Agencies, maybe try to find some in your area.

Scribbly
01-08-2017, 11:41 AM
Very good stuff. Still, some anatomy issues. Flabby triceps for Hulk on first panel introduction Great finishes and backgrounds. Very clean. Composition and poses are mild. I feel your poses should be more extreme for American comics. Nothing in the midway, EXTREME. ex: If furious Hulk comes to grab Superman, full hand fingers in full tension open! Next: Everything flying off in the room but the lamp and table stand are staying put on place. That lamp or some debris should jump to camera. These vertical lines between Hulk and lamp. What are these? A column? A wall? Distracting. In the same panel, Hulk's body went small or his head went big.
Maybe you should target middle size publishers for making your experiences and name working for them before upgrading on samples for the big 2 characters. IMHO.
:kewl:

Symson
01-08-2017, 01:18 PM
Very good draftsmanship.

From a storytelling standpoint, none of Superman's vision powers would move the Hulk. He doesn't have a concussive blast like Cyclops.

MattTriano
01-08-2017, 02:09 PM
These are good dude. Big work to do on composition, shapes and clarity. Nice drawing but Hulk's arm is hard because of angle and bend in 1.1, strange crops of heads 1.2 and 1.3 hurts clarity and creates bifricated horizontal panels that should be square or tall. Nice establishing shot 1.1 but a little big for this static action; is it tense? Why? Should we know? Is there a way to visual establish in 1.1 (by changing angle and info) why they're fighting at all? If you can you must!

Sample pages need layers of info; Page 1 could probably handle what is currently Page 2 Pnl 1 if Page 1 were re-cropped and more advantageously organized. 2.3 and 2.5 are really nice images but the page is full of awful slanted panels (never) and all movement inexplicably right to left going against the way we read (never never). Pull back and show us scale, cool buildings filled with 1,000 windows and small (clearly silhouetted, separated for clarity) figures doing something that effects the environment. Why not show which building Hulk is about to get blasted through in Page 1, setting up the info before you use it on Pg 2?

Is there a Cassaday influence? Not negative BTW. I want to see how you finish this because it's generally very well drafted but your delicate touch (and the slightly digital quality of your marks) makes the anatomy and gooey cropping all the more difficult to ignore. If your work all digital it might be worth it to repurpose some of these setups and panels into a 2.0 version of these first two pages, maybe not; depends how much you like them at the moment?

Keep going. Post the next! Share fixes if any!

Best,
M

MattTriano
01-08-2017, 02:14 PM
Very good stuff. Still, some anatomy issues. Flabby triceps for Hulk on first panel introduction Great finishes and backgrounds. Very clean. Composition and poses are mild. I feel your poses should be more extreme for American comics. Nothing in the midway, EXTREME. ex: If furious Hulk comes to grab Superman, full hand fingers in full tension open! Next: Everything flying off in the room but the lamp and table stand are staying put on place. That lamp or some debris should jump to camera. These vertical lines between Hulk and lamp. What are these? A column? A wall? Distracting. In the same panel, Hulk's body went small or his head went big.
Maybe you should target middle size publishers for making your experiences and name working for them before upgrading on samples for the big 2 characters. IMHO.

One point re: publishers: good samples are good samples, it doesn't matter whose characters are doing what. Editors like to see their characters in general but it won't hurt his chances of getting work at Zenescope and Boom if his amazing sample is Superman instead of Sherlock or whomever.

Scribbly
01-08-2017, 04:39 PM
One point re: publishers: good samples are good samples, it doesn't matter whose characters are doing what. Editors like to see their characters in general but it won't hurt his chances of getting work at Zenescope and Boom if his amazing sample is Superman instead of Sherlock or whomever.
Probably right. But I feel at this point he might have many more chances pointing at doing Sherlock rather than competing for Superman.
Right now, who else would try to get a gig doing Sherlock anyway? ;)

ArminOzdic
01-08-2017, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the critique. I'm doing these samples as I feel I need more superhero samples in my portfolio. So far, projects that I've worked on are mostly filled with ordinary people.

Thanks again,
Armin

ArminOzdic
01-08-2017, 07:20 PM
Very good draftsmanship.

From a storytelling standpoint, none of Superman's vision powers would move the Hulk. He doesn't have a concussive blast like Cyclops.

Thank you! you're right. But I'm still sticking with this as this is done for fun mostly.

ArminOzdic
01-08-2017, 07:28 PM
These are good dude. Big work to do on composition, shapes and clarity. Nice drawing but Hulk's arm is hard because of angle and bend in 1.1, strange crops of heads 1.2 and 1.3 hurts clarity and creates bifricated horizontal panels that should be square or tall. Nice establishing shot 1.1 but a little big for this static action; is it tense? Why? Should we know? Is there a way to visual establish in 1.1 (by changing angle and info) why they're fighting at all? If you can you must!

Sample pages need layers of info; Page 1 could probably handle what is currently Page 2 Pnl 1 if Page 1 were re-cropped and more advantageously organized. 2.3 and 2.5 are really nice images but the page is full of awful slanted panels (never) and all movement inexplicably right to left going against the way we read (never never). Pull back and show us scale, cool buildings filled with 1,000 windows and small (clearly silhouetted, separated for clarity) figures doing something that effects the environment. Why not show which building Hulk is about to get blasted through in Page 1, setting up the info before you use it on Pg 2?

Is there a Cassaday influence? Not negative BTW. I want to see how you finish this because it's generally very well drafted but your delicate touch (and the slightly digital quality of your marks) makes the anatomy and gooey cropping all the more difficult to ignore. If your work all digital it might be worth it to repurpose some of these setups and panels into a 2.0 version of these first two pages, maybe not; depends how much you like them at the moment?

Keep going. Post the next! Share fixes if any!

Best,
M

Thank you Matt. I especially appreciate your critique as I love your stuff!
Yeah, Cassaday is an influence. It's all digital and I'm planing on reworking few things once I'm done with all 4 pages. I'll take what you said into consideration. It might not be that soon tho as I'm very slowly working on these in my spare time.

Thanks again,
Armin

ArminOzdic
01-13-2017, 08:46 PM
Here is page 3

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s463/ArminOzdic/Hulk_Superman%20Page%203_zpszdxzpnun.jpg (http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/ArminOzdic/media/Hulk_Superman%20Page%203_zpszdxzpnun.jpg.html)

sevans
01-14-2017, 01:18 AM
Hate to say this.....BUT I love and hate the artwork at the same time.
Such great, perfect linework and rendering. So perfect, that it lacks feeling to me.

MattTriano
01-16-2017, 08:38 AM
PG 3 http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s463/ArminOzdic/Hulk_Superman%20Page%203_zpszdxzpnun.jpg (http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/ArminOzdic/media/Hulk_Superman%20Page%203_zpszdxzpnun.jpg.html)

Nice. More good drawing dude but why break 3.1 pnl border with Hulk's right index finger only? If you break a border, smash it. Big shapes, decisive. This is a matter of organization in rough/pencil; you could have made the figures smaller and pulled back a bit (or a lot) to show WHERE they are. I don't actually know where they are on this page except maybe still in the city by the digital rectangles in pnl 1 bg. None of that either BTW if you're going to draw digital that's fine but suggestions of stuff without reference always looks fake. Nice anatomy in 3.1 but weird cropping, again an issue of layout.

3.2 is a lovely panel with one exception, how big is the Hulk? Based on that arm in relation to Superman I'd think Hulk suddenly shrunk from 1 to 2. I like Superman's hands and the bicep stuff on H although if I'm nitpicking the cape could be crumpling in a far more dramatic way to show just how fast this action would be happening. And if I'm allowed a nerd moment, I call bullshit on 3.2 because there's just no way Hulk could be so fast as to grab Superman by the face without time enough for Superman to dodge. Superman would read that reach before Hulk even knew he was going to do it.

3.3 is tasty very clear drawing, nice drama. But. Don't try so hard to fit that little bit of righthand Hulkfist sticking into frame; shape is too small and on the printed page, that fist is going to be cut off by a crease or sheared off entirely in the trimming and assembly. You should plan to lose at least 1/8" on all sides of your finished file when adjusted to print size (6.88x10.5); that also means that your non-bleed panels are basically bleed panels on this page, they're too close to the left and right edges. The top and side margins should be bigger than you think they need to be.

3.4 is nice, Hulk's face looks a little squished, hard angle.

3.5 is well rendered but Superman doesn't have enough forehead or cranium to fit his brain. I think that may be an issue on the previous pages too but Hulk can look however so hard to say. Eyes are halfway down the head, excluding hair; right now Superman has a threehead. General note re Superman's hair: once you give him more cranium I'd recommend figuring out how your Superman's hair looks when it's at rest, then messing it up. It currently looks like an afterthought, overall.

Can't wait to see PG 4!

Cloves Rodrigues
01-16-2017, 10:45 AM
"To enter with a large publisher you need to draw better
that the best penciler of the publisher
Better than the middle and worse have a queue" Luke Ross

http://www.glasshousegraphics.com/index.php/talent/pencillers
http://chiaroscuro-studios.com/artists/
http://www.institutohq.com.br/artistas-desenhistas

In Big studios(edit), when a test comes,
the best artists are selected for the test
They say : " the easiest way to enter is to draw better than Paulo Siqueira" It's the most heard phrase (Always discourages)
(Digital Artists usually compete with others Digital Artists, pencilers with pencilers, etc)

And yours needs to be better than theirs

Small publishers pay in 90 days, low prices, not worth it
Some do not pay

Professional artists in studios take 4 days on a sample page (only one, i hate it),
They need to do something extraordinary,
necessary you need to be patient, in one page

These are rules that they teach us.
I hope you can achieve this patience in doing the sample tests
(I never had, I always try to finish in 4 hours)

I hope you get your objetives,
Your work is good, I liked more the page 1
I think in others pages missing some scenery

Regards

ArminOzdic
01-16-2017, 02:34 PM
@MattTriano- thanks!

@Cloves Rodrigues-
Thanks for the agency info.
What small publishers are you talking about?
I know only one who pays like that.
I have some experience witch some small publishers in US and big one in Europe and was never owed money.

Thanks,
Armin

Cloves Rodrigues
01-16-2017, 08:18 PM
europe is very good market,
see

https://fairpagerates.com/year-in-review-2015-survey-results/

ArminOzdic
01-17-2017, 07:00 PM
@Cloves Rodrigues- Thanks, man!

MattTriano
01-24-2017, 04:06 PM
Anything new to show Armin?

ArminOzdic
01-25-2017, 08:05 AM
@MattTriano- no, didn't get a chance to work on it more. Got a new project and doing tryout for another French book at the moment. Probably won't be able to finish these samples anytime soon.

MattTriano
01-27-2017, 10:42 PM
Glad to hear about the new project. Post the French samples if you can!