PDA

View Full Version : Net 30?

Kay
09-16-2016, 12:59 AM
I'm sure we've talked about it before but I cannot find the old thread. So... any advice?

Do Big Two do this? Why?

Thanks.

Lee Nordling
09-16-2016, 08:26 AM
Frankly, it takes time to process a check request, especially when there's an accounting department and system in place.

It'll change from place to place, but if you invoice, your contact processes the request, SOMEBODY has to sign off on it, then she/he puts it through a process with a bunch of other payments that have been signed off on, and then there's the creating and mailing of the check.

Can it be done quicker?

Of course, and most systems have a way to rush stuff through that bypasses the system, but there has to be a GOOD reason to do that, beyond that we just want our money quicker.

--Lee

Steve Colle
09-16-2016, 08:40 AM
Interesting that creators can use PayPal to transfer funds to their collaborators and many businesses - at least here in Canada - can use direct deposit to pay their staff, but the ever loving check still exists to slow the process down.

Steven Forbes
09-16-2016, 12:10 PM
PayPal isn't a bank. Basically, it serves to move funds from one place to another, and you can draw funds from it, but it is a bank alternative. You can't draw a check against the money you have in an account.

I love PayPal. It makes it extremely easy for me to get paid, as well as to hold that money outside of my regular checking account.

For the overwhelming bulk of us, there's extremely little reason to do net 30 payments. If we don't have the money in hand to get the work done, what makes us think we're going to have the money in 30 days? (There will always be outlier cases, which is why I want those who feel they're an outlier to go back to the first part of this paragraph.) Personally, if I don't have the money right now, I wait until I do have the money to get the work done. None of this "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today." (I think I just dated myself...)

-Steven

Kay
09-16-2016, 02:35 PM
"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."That's what I thought. Thank you.

Stewart Vernon
09-16-2016, 03:03 PM
Let's just be honest about it... Sure, there is some work involved, especially for a big company, to process and pay an invoice. BUT, when you owe them money? You can bet you don't automatically get net-30... however, big companies routinely give themselves net-30, net-60, or worse. That's how it has been for a long time now.

You can complain... complain yourself right out of work. Unless you are the best of the best and getting more work than you can handle, it's unfortunately the freelancer world we live in right now.

I've seen this as a Technical Writer/Illustrator. You are rushed to completely work in a week that they "need now" but then you don't get paid for that work for more than a month because they only process payments once a month and then it takes 30 days beyond that to cut the check!

It is kind of the nature of the business. Not fair, but not a lot we can do about it most of the time since we often need that work and need that money. About the only way to combat it is to have so much work, and have it staggered, so that even though you aren't getting paid now for current work, you're getting paid for previous work, so you keep a steady/delayed stream of money flowing as much as possible once you struggle through that first no-pay time period.