PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Talented Pencil & Inker $40/page

HuckleberryComics
09-05-2016, 02:40 PM
Hi there! Thanks for checking out my thread. I'm looking for a pencil and inker who would like to work on my first graphic novel Dream State Radicals. At this point I'm only looking to draft the first five pages but this is very likely to be ongoing work.

Who am I looking for exactly? Well, firstly I'd like to work with a talented artist. Someone who is good at creating atmosphere and bringing the world to life. It's a dystopian sci-fi novel, it takes place on Mars in the year 5017 and I'm looking for a gritty, detailed feel. I'm trying to accomplish a completely unique and fully fleshed out universe that can easily and believably stand on its own.

I appreciate professionalism, but seriously guys (and gals) if you don't have a sense of humor and are somewhat laid back I don't care how talented you are I'm not interested. As you might be able to tell from the tone of this post, yes it's a paid project but I want everyone to have a good time. This should be an enjoyable endeavor for all parties. I believe it leads to a better creative process and higher quality outcome.

Proposals without a portfolio of work will not be considered. Preferably portfolios with full page panel layouts so I can see your style and how the camera in your mind is set up. After all, you'll be converting the script to page so strong skills in the layout area will help. I particularly like non-traditional layouts. Half of the payment will be completed via PayPal within one week of delivery of the first three pages, the rest will be paid within one week on completion of the last two pages. Please submit your portfolios to quickfuzefilms@gmail.com

My name's Charles Dutka, the founder of Huckleberry Comics and the writer for Dream State Radicals. You can see more about it and myself on the website: huckleberrycomics.com and on Facebook and our Twitter handle is @HuckleberryDSR In the real world I'm a professional product photographer, you can see that at quickfuzefilms.com

I'm very, very new to this industry but am jumping in with both feet. So far I've had an extremely warm reception and am looking forward to making the world in my head a tangible thing that the world will (hopefully) enjoy.

Thanks again,
Charles Dutka

HuckleberryComics
09-07-2016, 09:16 AM
For anyone who hasn't applied, I'm sorry to say we're all set for the time being. For those of you who have applied, please read the following:

We've had 120+ submissions in only 48 hours and having to pick just one of you was as Stephen Fry once said in a sketch on Fry & Laurie, "believe me when I tell you sir, it was both difficult and impossible." Fortunatly an interesting twist happened about halfway through where we decided on trying a new stylistic approach where as the story changes from the protagonist to other characters the illustrator does too reflecting those other characters world view. So, we were able to accept two pencil & inkers. Which, again was extremely challenging due to the huge number of very talented people out there.

Anyway, as the series goes on (which will likely happen if there's any interest whatsoever in the first issue) we'll likely be posting here again for a new slew of artists. I really like the idea of the series being open to many talents and multiple styles and the finished issues being a fantastic cumulative effort. Making the Dream State Radicals not just a favorite of the average reader but something of a gallery of styles for the more artistically inclined.

Thank you all so much for you submissions and the opportunity to view your portfolios. Anyone who's interested in the project from a personal point of view and wants to either pick up a copy or just support the project feel free to follow us on twitter @HuckleberryDSR

HuckleberryComics
09-27-2016, 12:37 AM
I've already received a few samples from various colorists but I'm certainly interested in seeing some other interpretations! It pays 25/page and will be paid via PayPal after the work has been received and approved. At the moment we're only looking to color a few pages and will require a sample on the first page before making a hiring decision. Contact me at quickfuzefilms@gmail.com to receive the inks on the sample page and a few pieces of concept art for color pallet. I'm looking depth of color and detail. The pencil and inker did a fantastic job at creating this gritty atmosphere, I'd love to keep that or enhance it if possible.

For those of you who have been keeping up with the project, following us on twitter and showed your support throughout the process so far, thank you so much! It's very much appreciated.

HuckleberryComics
10-17-2016, 05:37 PM
Alrighty! We've picked our colorist, our pencil and inker as well as our letterer. Thanks so much for the submissions guys and gals. Much appreciated. Our Kickstarter will start either at the end of this year or January 1st 2017. If you're interested in supporting indy comics please follow us on twitter @HuckleberryDSR to follow along with our progress.

Thanks again!
C.