PDA

View Full Version : I Pencil Too!

JL Straw
08-24-2016, 09:57 PM
Hi and thanks for dropping in :happy:

For years now I've avoided penciling sequentials as I didn't enjoy doing them. But, I've been upping my game this year to develop my penciling skills and I also had the opportunity to pencils some sequentials, actually it was forced on me because none of my regular artists were available for the project.

Long story short I discovered why I didn't enjoy penciling sequentials - I lacked the necessary skills, and having spent the year fixing that I'm now able to draw sequentials that I'm happy with.

I really enjoyed drawing these pages and I'm really thankful my regulars couldn't take the project. Do this has shown me I'm capable and I look forward to drawing more sequentials. There's still much I'm studying and learning, particularly perspective, and I can't wait to see how far my work improves over the coming years.

Thank you for looking. Any comments or critiques are welcomed.

http://orig10.deviantart.net/3532/f/2016/237/9/6/jl_straw_mkzexcgm_pencils_01sf_by_theinkpages-dafae5z.jpg

http://orig09.deviantart.net/59cf/f/2016/237/9/c/jl_straw_mkzexcgm_pencils_02sf_by_theinkpages-dafaeau.jpg

http://orig08.deviantart.net/a564/f/2016/237/b/7/jl_straw_mkzexcgm_pencils_03sf_by_theinkpages-dafaedc.jpg

http://orig10.deviantart.net/9204/f/2016/237/6/1/jl_straw_mkzexcgm_pencils_04sf_by_theinkpages-dafaefq.jpg

paul brian deberry
08-24-2016, 11:45 PM
hey! these are good.

sevans
08-26-2016, 12:47 AM
Did you ever see a comic called Bazooka Jules (I think).
Your main character looks just like her.

Solid pages.

Amelia
08-26-2016, 02:14 AM
Awesome! The quest for better art is a never ending one, but you can enjoy it every step of the way.

Your lines are clean, and your character movements and expressions are dynamic. You're definitely on the right track!

What specifically about perspective do you want to improve on? What about in other aspects of your art?

Keep up the good work!

andionzone
08-26-2016, 06:50 AM
very cool...!!! I like it

Marqphillipsp3
08-26-2016, 08:59 AM
Cool pencils! I got some advice from Erik Larson on twitter once about keeping stuff loose for speed, and to give your inker something to do! He spoke on how pencilers and inkers are two runners in a relay race, and instead of getting the page to a certain point of completion and then passing it on; Pencilers will complete the page and make it so that all the inker has to do is trace with flourish. Pretty much running the whole relay holding the baton with the inker instead. The inker is supposed to be pivotal in cleaning up lines, picking weight, and accentuating details to really make the page pop, maybe even drawing in a detail here and there. Try keeping that in mind when you work pencils, it'll be a bit easier and more enjoyable! Keep it tight on hands and faces. You're a remarkably talented inker, and I'm sure you could finish pages like these strong in your inks. It's something I need to work on as well, but I felt I should spread the knowledge. Great work!

sevans
08-28-2016, 07:50 PM
Valid point BUT if these are for a portfolio piece, the more finished the better.
Don't expect an editor etc to rely on their imagination.

JL Straw
09-03-2016, 08:39 AM
Did you ever see a comic called Bazooka Jules (I think).
Your main character looks just like her.

Solid pages.
No I haven't. But having googled it I don't think you can compare a little girl to Jules! lol.

JL Straw
09-03-2016, 08:58 AM
Cool pencils! I got some advice from Erik Larson on twitter once about keeping stuff loose for speed, and to give your inker something to do! He spoke on how pencilers and inkers are two runners in a relay race, and instead of getting the page to a certain point of completion and then passing it on; Pencilers will complete the page and make it so that all the inker has to do is trace with flourish. Pretty much running the whole relay holding the baton with the inker instead. The inker is supposed to be pivotal in cleaning up lines, picking weight, and accentuating details to really make the page pop, maybe even drawing in a detail here and there. Try keeping that in mind when you work pencils, it'll be a bit easier and more enjoyable! Keep it tight on hands and faces. You're a remarkably talented inker, and I'm sure you could finish pages like these strong in your inks. It's something I need to work on as well, but I felt I should spread the knowledge. Great work!
Haha! I'm wholly incapable of drawing loosely. Even my sketches tend to be tight. I've heard that about the penciling/inker team many times. It doesn't help that I'm an inker myself so I have particular notions on how I want the lines to look.

But it also depends on the ability of the inker; most nowadays aren't artists in their own right so they can't 'finish' the artwork. I once approached an inker for just such a project but she turned it down because my lines were loose and she can't draw. One thing the pro's agree on is that the best inkers are pencilers themselves.

More than that though I needed to draw this to my own standard to get me over a particular blockage I've been experiencing with penciling sequentials for years. Let just say these pages were the therapy I needed. The looser the lines I work with the less enjoyable I find penciling.

By the by, I still itching to ink some of your pages. It's an inkers heaven in there, lol.

JL Straw
09-03-2016, 09:04 AM
Awesome! The quest for better art is a never ending one, but you can enjoy it every step of the way.

Your lines are clean, and your character movements and expressions are dynamic. You're definitely on the right track!

What specifically about perspective do you want to improve on? What about in other aspects of your art?

Keep up the good work!
How to set up the perspective and also correctly scaling objects to match the perspective.

Although it's my most successful perspective yet, the scene in the first panel of the last page I cheated on. This wasn't my original concept, I wanted more buildings, roads and cars but I couldn't get the perspective on the ground right, so I left off most of the buildings and roads I wanted to add and put in a park.

I've got some books on perspective I'm learning from so I'll get the hang of it eventually as I practice more.

sevans
09-07-2016, 01:24 AM
Jules, actually starts as a little girl, her powers increase many things. LOL