PDA

View Full Version : uppercase vs. lowercase

Areocube
07-25-2016, 12:14 PM
I am about to begin the lettering process on my Graphic Novel... it is a Western. I am no letterer, therefore I will be outsourcing the work.

So, I wanted to ask you guys here in the lettering forum which do you prefer? the pros & cons and the dos & don'ts with using uppercase vs. lowercase lettering.

Any insight would be a great help for me, that way I can decide on the best route to take.

Thanks.

Stewart Vernon
07-25-2016, 05:45 PM
Used to be a time when there was no question... all uppercase. I have seen more modern comics using mixed case now than I used to... but it doesn't always work.

Generally speaking, uppercase is easier to read... and that's what you're going for in comics dialog. You can always give other options a try and see how it looks, sometimes it might work.

sevans
07-25-2016, 05:54 PM
Most of the time uppercase works best in comics.
Easy to read.
We"re used to it.
Easy to space and layout.

paul brian deberry
07-25-2016, 06:30 PM
For dialogue word balloons I would go with uppercase 90% of the time.

Narration boxes I personally like lower cases. Especially if to give the feel of a written letter.

Honestly, It's your comicbook do whatever you want.

maverick
07-25-2016, 06:51 PM
Mixed case looks good sometimes, but seems to mostly be a holdover fad from the late 90s

vartemis
07-25-2016, 10:49 PM
Lowercase is like thought balloons; rarely used anymore and usually gives off an outdated look. I only use sentence case when specifically asked for, and then it's usually only used for writing or journals, although I have uppercase fonts for that too.

Lucas.Gattoni
07-26-2016, 08:09 AM
All-uppercase works great for balloons, bc they have shorter lines. Sentence-case is a style choice for me.

I leave you here a very interesting article I read just yesterday about this topic. The link is here (http://www.multiversitycomics.com/news-columns/looking-at-lettering-caps-vs-mixed-case/), and there's plenty more about lettering comics in that site (search for "Lettering Week").

And BTW, I'm a letterer myself, so I'd love to know more about your project and maybe we can work together. Here's my portfolio (http://bit.ly/LG_Lettering), check it out and drop me a line!

Lucas Gattoni
lucasgattoni (at) outlook (dot) com

Areocube
07-28-2016, 11:52 AM
I appreciate the comments, guys. Lucas, thanks for the link... I am going to read up on this.