PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Beyond

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
07-12-2016, 08:10 AM
Who is going to see this one? Terribly bittersweet now that Anton is gone... :cry: I really and truly liked his version of Chekov very much.

I'd heard very little about this movie, and now it's already due out!

Bishop
07-12-2016, 08:46 AM
I'll see it, but the trailers have left me a little cold. I don't think the Star Trek universe really fits with Beasty Boys or Rihanna...

I agree about Anton Yelchin. He was a true talent.

Duane Korslund
07-12-2016, 09:14 AM
Im gonna see it...musical choices aside, and if you put aside the fact that these new movies kind of fly in the face of the spirit of star trek, then they're pretty entertaining (wrath of kahn 2.0 was less so).

Also, yeah..RIP Anton...that was terrible :(

omega sentry
07-15-2016, 12:47 PM
I'll see it, but the trailers have left me a little cold. I don't think the Star Trek universe really fits with Beasty Boys or Rihanna...

I agree about Anton Yelchin. He was a true talent.

I see why people are all wanting the movies to be more like the shows. But let's be honest the new movies are not that different from the rest of the trek movies.

Bishop
07-15-2016, 01:42 PM
I agree. I like the movies. I just scored some free passes for next week, so I'll definitely be seeing it now.

The Spirit
08-27-2016, 12:53 AM
I've heard it was the best of the three. I can't get out to see it though. I always have to take the family and it's 50 bucks + so I'll wait for DVD. Looks good though.

Moonrider
08-29-2016, 04:46 AM
Apparently it was not the hit blockbuster that the studio wanted. I liked it, though I think the plot is a bit too similar with the main plot from Mass Effect.

Bishop
08-29-2016, 08:25 AM
It was decent as long as you ignored the massive plot holes. Check your brain at the door and enjoy the ride!

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
08-30-2016, 08:10 AM
Check your brain at the door and enjoy the ride!

Heh... getting quite used to doing that.... A shame though. Star Trek is really the perfect vehicle (even more than Star Wars) for exploring pretty much any idea one could come up with, from banal to controversial. The ST universe comes with built in buttons to push for absolutely any kind of conflict.

Duane Korslund
08-30-2016, 09:12 AM
Heh... getting quite used to doing that.... A shame though. Star Trek is really the perfect vehicle (even more than Star Wars) for exploring pretty much any idea one could come up with, from banal to controversial. The ST universe comes with built in buttons to push for absolutely any kind of conflict.

hopefully that will be what the new TV show pushes....though CBS really messed up in making it for their mobile app, its a money grab, and I'm pretty sure its gonna fail.

NooSkool
08-30-2016, 02:35 PM
Two things irk me about the Sulu 'drama' :

1: In Kirk's time frame (or timeline) a homosexual couple would not be touching, noteworthy or even noticeable, unless equal attention would be given to every other conceivable alien-human coupling (hetero or not) relevant to that scene. This made the Sulu scene 'out of time.'

2: Captain Kirk is not a sentimental guy. He's not likely to be found gazing at a cute couple, puppies,flowers or blue sky etc. He's not a girl. He's a man. Unless you're a pretty skirt walking by he's not gonna stop and stare. This made the Sulu scene 'out of character' for him.

I've got other peeves about their 'tribute' to Nimoy (half-assed)
Federation failures (I don't need to see the Federation as ineffectual as to-days' world.)
The whole Spock-Uhura thing (there is an unexplored logical solution to that. PM me if you want to know.)
Idris Elba being underused...(sigh)
Story is unimaginative...(snore)

Blah blah blah. Gripes galore.

http://nooskool.com/images/logo.png (http://nooskool.com/)