PDA

View Full Version : Red Sonja penciler test pages

MikaelNoon
07-05-2016, 03:21 AM
Hello everyone!
My name is Michael Malatini,I'm a freelancer artist always looking for new jobs or commissions.
Here are some Red Sonja test pages I recently submitted to Dynamite,it would be great to receive some critiques to help me improve!
Thank you very much!

My DA portfolio:
http://mikaelnoon92.deviantart.com/
eMail:
michael.malatini@gmail.com

http://img15.deviantart.net/c020/i/2016/173/a/4/red_sonja_01_pencil_by_mikaelnoon92-da774db.jpg
http://pre15.deviantart.net/1782/th/pre/i/2016/186/7/3/red_sonja_02_pencil_by_mikaelnoon92-da8tdhg.jpg
http://pre09.deviantart.net/6785/th/pre/i/2016/186/e/9/red_sonja_03_pencil_by_mikaelnoon92-da8tdoc.jpg
http://pre08.deviantart.net/45de/th/pre/i/2016/186/d/9/red_sonja_4_by_mikaelnoon92-da8vbls.jpg
http://img06.deviantart.net/e100/i/2016/186/0/b/red_sonja_5_6_by_mikaelnoon92-da8vcvt.jpg

emmanuelxerxjavier
07-05-2016, 07:57 AM
whoa, these are awesome pages, love the energy and dynamic actions

MikaelNoon
07-05-2016, 08:58 AM
whoa, these are awesome pages, love the energy and dynamic actions

Thanks man! :)

Ike-Dog
07-05-2016, 08:32 PM
Really fantastic pages. Nice work

WriterDaniel
07-06-2016, 02:19 PM
Nice job Michael!
The character work is great, your action flows really well and there's some beautiful details in there.

MikaelNoon
07-07-2016, 08:50 AM
Thanks everyone guys :)

Michael Ford
07-12-2016, 06:20 PM
I've loved your work ever since I saw your "In Plain Sight" from observatory comics. You are one of the best artists I've seen.

There are so many great, consistent details in all these pages. Your panels are laid out nicely and I know where to look next. And your characters look lively and their actions look dynamic. I could fill pages of all the positives of these pages.

I have a few suggestions of how you could make these pages even better. You could make the horse's legs a little thicker, especially at the lower half of its legs. And while you male faces are all different and interesting, your female faces don't have the same variety. The woman on page 3 panel 2 looks a lot like Sonja in page 4 panel 6, including their hairstyle. I can see in other panels the differences better, but it isn't as great as your male faces. I also have to wonder if there is another page before the last page. Sonja is in a different position and her opponent seems to jump out of nowhere.

I am excited to see you here on DigitalWebbing. Now I get to see more of your work without having to go to your Deviantart account. Keep showing us your new material.

engcheedraws
07-13-2016, 06:44 AM
Hello Michael, these Red Sonja samples look great. I agree with the comments posted so far. There is definitely a lot of energy and dynamic flow in your sequentials. I like that you have also taken into consideration to leave space for the lettering in your panels. Great work.

To add to Michael Ford's comments, I have a few critiques for you that I believe will help you get better and stronger as a visual storyteller.

Page 2 Panel 2: I believe there is some perspective issues here. You're eye-balling most of your perspective, which is usually fine for long shots but it is better to work out the perspective lines in tighter shots so things look more "grounded". In addition, the fruit seller in the foreground might have some anatomical issues, particularly in the neck area. It looks too thick or he has really tiny shoulders.

Page 5-6 spread Panel 1 and 2: You have tangents in these 2 panels. The left leg of Red Sonja in panel 1 and her left arm in panel 2. This can be easily corrected by shifting the position of the art in one of the panels more to the left or right.

Great samples overall. I hope Dynamite hires you. All the best!

MikaelNoon
07-13-2016, 09:11 AM
I've loved your work ever since I saw your "In Plain Sight" from observatory comics. You are one of the best artists I've seen.

There are so many great, consistent details in all these pages. Your panels are laid out nicely and I know where to look next. And your characters look lively and their actions look dynamic. I could fill pages of all the positives of these pages.

I have a few suggestions of how you could make these pages even better. You could make the horse's legs a little thicker, especially at the lower half of its legs. And while you male faces are all different and interesting, your female faces don't have the same variety. The woman on page 3 panel 2 looks a lot like Sonja in page 4 panel 6, including their hairstyle. I can see in other panels the differences better, but it isn't as great as your male faces. I also have to wonder if there is another page before the last page. Sonja is in a different position and her opponent seems to jump out of nowhere.

I am excited to see you here on DigitalWebbing. Now I get to see more of your work without having to go to your Deviantart account. Keep showing us your new material.

Wow! Thank you very much Michael! Really glad you know In Plain Sight,my friend Laszlo is an awesome writer!
And thank you very much for your advices,I'll make treasure of them!
Yeah,the last page is more a like an unrelated page from the others,I just wanted to have fun drawing a catfight lol

MikaelNoon
07-13-2016, 09:19 AM
Hello Michael, these Red Sonja samples look great. I agree with the comments posted so far. There is definitely a lot of energy and dynamic flow in your sequentials. I like that you have also taken into consideration to leave space for the lettering in your panels. Great work.

To add to Michael Ford's comments, I have a few critiques for you that I believe will help you get better and stronger as a visual storyteller.

Page 2 Panel 2: I believe there is some perspective issues here. You're eye-balling most of your perspective, which is usually fine for long shots but it is better to work out the perspective lines in tighter shots so things look more "grounded". In addition, the fruit seller in the foreground might have some anatomical issues, particularly in the neck area. It looks too thick or he has really tiny shoulders.

Page 5-6 spread Panel 1 and 2: You have tangents in these 2 panels. The left leg of Red Sonja in panel 1 and her left arm in panel 2. This can be easily corrected by shifting the position of the art in one of the panels more to the left or right.

Great samples overall. I hope Dynamite hires you. All the best!

Thank you very much for the advices! I'll keep them in mind in the future.
Yeah eye-balling perspective it's a bad abitude I've always had that I need to get rid :cry: