PDA

View Full Version : Preparing Comic Sample Pages/Portfolio

Saul Haber
06-30-2016, 10:56 PM
Hi, i'm looking to prepare sample pages (sequentials) to submit to comics companies (anybody that pays, Big Two included, obviously).
What's the best way to do this? Should I look for specific sample scripts that are floating around the internet? Should I prepare different sets of pages for each company showing their characters/styles? Should I write my own script and just have fun with it so as to also showcase my creativity? Should I attach the script along with the samples? Should I include the text on the page (I can letter it)? What is a good number of pages? 3-4?

I appreciate your input. I've been drawing comics and such for a while but I've never drawn pages just to submit as samples and I want to put my best foot forward.

Thanks!

Stewart Vernon
07-01-2016, 02:11 AM
Haven't done this... but what my gut tells me is...

I'd try and find some sample scripts from published works by the companies you'd like to showcase to... you can show DC a Marvel sequential and vice-versa, but I think it'd be good to also have something each company can recognize as their own. It'll help them evaluate your work if it is something with which they are familiar so they can judge your take on it.

I'd also recommend doing something unique of your own too. If you have something strong, go for it! But, be aware that IF you the writer creates a flawed script that you the artist draws... they will not know if it was you the writer or you the artist made the mistake in some cases since they likely will not have time to dig into your original script even if you bring it.

Summary... Try doing work with which than can immediately identify and judge your take on it... and try doing some original stuff too, but be prepared to talk more about your original stuff since it will be unfamiliar to them.

Just my gut... I haven't ever prepared or showed any sequential work to anyone, but that's where I'd start if it were me.

Renae De Liz
07-02-2016, 04:45 AM
I'd do your own custom script that allows your unique skills to shine, because they're so used to seeing the same type of samples, producing something special would immediately help you stand out. But as Stewart said, it's important that script is a good one so writing flaws don't cross over to your art. Also, while custom script is good, you don't want it to feel unfamiliar to the publisher, so be sure to read sample scripts to get an idea of what they look for. Perhaps you could take a sample script and tweak it a bit to produce an optimal showcase of skill.

Good luck!! :)

Saul Haber
07-06-2016, 09:33 PM
I'd also recommend doing something unique of your own too. If you have something strong, go for it! But, be aware that IF you the writer creates a flawed script that you the artist draws... they will not know if it was you the writer or you the artist made the mistake in some cases since they likely will not have time to dig into your original script even if you bring it.

That's a good point about not letting your writing screw up your artwork. I'll have to be very careful about the script.

Saul Haber
07-06-2016, 09:36 PM
I'd do your own custom script that allows your unique skills to shine, because they're so used to seeing the same type of samples, producing something special would immediately help you stand out. But as Stewart said, it's important that script is a good one so writing flaws don't cross over to your art. Also, while custom script is good, you don't want it to feel unfamiliar to the publisher, so be sure to read sample scripts to get an idea of what they look for. Perhaps you could take a sample script and tweak it a bit to produce an optimal showcase of skill.
Good luck!! :)

Thanks, for the advice Renae. That's definitely food for thought and I've been going back and forth over it. I do agree with your point, but I also think if it's something easily recognizable then they can judge it better. But then again, I'd rather showcase all of my skills then just use a standard script where I may not stack up so well against all the others using it.

Saul Haber
07-06-2016, 09:40 PM
So, I've read a couple different articles about this and some people go with 6 pages of story, let's say. And I also saw something Joe Quesada wrote saying to prepare 3 short 3-page stories (with 3 accompanying covers). So that would be a different sort of challenge. One larger story or multiple shorter ones to showcase different things in each story, perhaps.
Anybody have any experience submitting sample pages? (I'm sure there are many...) How did you go about it?