PDA

View Full Version : One on the MCU While We're at It

Buckyrig
06-29-2016, 12:20 PM
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/24/civil-war-spider-man-2-and-the-dangers-of-assumed-empathy

BECAUSE MARVEL STUDIOS SEEMS TO HAVE FIGURED OUT THE SECRET OF WHAT HULK WILL CALL "BASIC AUDIENCE PLACATION." I.E. YOU MAKE FUN CHARACTERS. YOU HIRE GREAT ACTORS. YOU PUT IN THEM IN SITUATIONS WHERE THEY ALL HAVE TO INTERACT. THEN YOU LET THOSE SITUATIONS PLAY OUT IN AS FUN AND DELIGHTFUL A MANNER AS POSSIBLE. WHICH HULK READILY ADMITS IS NOT AN EASY THING TO DO. AND THE HEART IS IN THE RIGHT PLACE. THERE IS REASON PEOPLE GRAVITATE TOWARD THIS STUFF, ESPECIALLY IN THE WAKE OF CHRISTOPHER NOFUN AND THE CURRENT DC SYNDER-SMORGASBORD. WHEN FACED WITH THE TWO EXTREMES, HULK WILL TAKE THE "BE DELIGHTFUL" WITH CHARACTERS PATH EVERY TIME. BUT HULK HAS TO POINT OUT THAT THERE'S NOTHING ABOUT THE "BE DELIGHTFUL" MANTRA THAT INHERENTLY MAKES FOR GOOD STORYTELLING EITHER. IT'S JUST AN AFFECTATION. AND IT'S GOOD FOR ENGAGING AN AUDIENCE ON A BASIC LEVEL.

omega sentry
06-30-2016, 11:47 AM
That's basically most of Disney properties... And frankly is getting annoying. That's why I like BVS.

Moonrider
07-01-2016, 02:26 AM
I think DC and Marvel are going in exact opposite directions. Marvel starts off with nice characters that are gradually becoming assholes (or in the case of Tony Stark, asshole to hero to asshole again), while most DC movies started out with them already being assholes and work their way up from there.

The Spirit
07-01-2016, 08:16 AM
I love the Marvel movies so much right now. And IMO the stories are good. Iron Man, GOTG, The Cap movies all had good stories. BVS I enjoyed when I saw it but after I viewed it and saw the internet opinion my view has changed. I haven't watched it since I read those reviews and critics but sitting in the theater I liked it.

Moonrider
07-01-2016, 09:32 AM
The extended version of BVS seem to address most of the plotholes from the original theatrical edit. Notably the wheelchair bomb was wrapped in lead so Superman couldn't have detected it, and he actually saved some people during the explosion.