PDA

View Full Version : Good Analysis of Force Awakens

Buckyrig
06-29-2016, 12:17 PM
And JJ Abrams in general.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/06/28/star-wars-the-force-alluded-to

The writing style is the guy's shtick. Deal with it.

IT ALL FINALLY LEADS US BACK TO THAT ORIGINAL QUESTION HULK ASKED AT THE BEGINNING: "WHAT IS THE FORCE AWAKENS ABOUT?"

IT'S ABOUT STAR WARS.

IT'S ABOUT YOU LOVING STAR WARS. IT'S ABOUT YOU WANTING MORE STAR WARS. IT'S ABOUT KNOWING YOU HAVE "THE CORE" WITHIN YOU AND TRYING TO ACCESS THAT. BUT IT'S NOT TRYING TO BUILD ANYTHING NEW ON A NON-SURFACE LEVEL. IT'S NOT REALLY TRYING TO ADD TO THE CORE. IT'S NOT TRYING TO USHER IN A NEW SPIRIT. IT'S SIMPLY TRYING TO REACH BACK AND SHOWCASE THE THINGS THAT MADE UP THE CORE. BUT IT DOESN'T WORK THE SAME ON US. NOT BY A LONG SHOT, BECAUSE IT'S NOT DESIGNED TO BE MEANINGFUL, NOR ABOUT LIFE IN ITS OWN RIGHT. REY ISN'T THE ASPIRATIONAL FIGURE. SHE'S A STAND-IN FOR MOST BASE STAR-WARS RELATED DESIRES. THE NOTION THAT YOU TOO CAN BE A PART OF STAR WARS! YOU TOO CAN FIGHT A SITH OR FLY THE FALCON! YOU TOO CAN GET EVERYTHING YOU WANT! BUT IT'S SO DRAMATICALLY AND THEMATICALLY INCOHERENT THAT HULK HAS NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT ELSE IT'S ABOUT. EVERYTHING THAT MAKES THE STAR WARS UNIVERSE SPECIAL, EVEN THE FORCE ITSELF, IS NOT DRAMATIZED.

IT'S ALLUDED TO.

AND NOTHING MORE.

omega sentry
06-29-2016, 03:55 PM
Sounds like an apologist trying to tell people that feel this movie's sucks big monkey balls, that they are wrong cause reasons.

That same article can be applied to the prequels yet people will bitch about the 3 movies.

Edit:
After reading the wall code that was that article. Feels like he is saying the force awakens is good cause it's starwars and we want it to be good even though it has no substance. Yep feels like an apologetic approach. In that case episode 3 is still better than 7!

Moonrider
07-01-2016, 02:19 AM
Force Awakens is all about you (fans) via JJ Abrams, playing with all these Star Wars toys at your disposal. It's neither supposed to be innovative nor experimental like any of George Lucas' movies. Get over it.

The Spirit
07-01-2016, 08:18 AM
I liked Force Awakens ALOT. The only crit I had was that Rey was a Mary Sue character. I want to see some depth in future installments.

Buckyrig
07-01-2016, 01:04 PM
I know it's long, but read the article if you find the time.

A good portion of it is about how JJ Abrams, in general, crafts scenes intended to invoke a particular reaction . . . but that they're all surface, and no substance. That the plot mechanics are broken, and almost random at times.

In other words, Abrams is a master at mimicking the moments that make a movie great, but not at crafting real ones.

Force Awakens is all about you (fans) via JJ Abrams, playing with all these Star Wars toys at your disposal. It's neither supposed to be innovative nor experimental like any of George Lucas' movies. Get over it.

He's saying that the movie, and all of Abrams movies, fail at storytelling and characterization on a fundamental level. That since he knows how to fake it well enough, people are satisfied in the moment of watching an Abrams movie, but that the movies don't linger with us.

The Spirit
07-01-2016, 02:38 PM
I know it's long, but read the article if you find the time.

A good portion of it is about how JJ Abrams, in general, crafts scenes intended to invoke a particular reaction . . . but that they're all surface, and no substance. That the plot mechanics are broken, and almost random at times.

In other words, Abrams is a master at mimicking the moments that make a movie great, but not at crafting real ones.

He's saying that the movie, and all of Abrams movies, fail at storytelling and characterization on a fundamental level. That since he knows how to fake it well enough, people are satisfied in the moment of watching an Abrams movie, but that the movies don't linger with us.i get that. It was my experience with Lost. I loved it til season 6 when I realized it was cotton candy. But in my old age I don't care I liked the movie while I was watching it and had a good time. I'm not expecting a great masterpiece worth Star Wars.

Moonrider
07-02-2016, 12:29 PM
He's saying that the movie, and all of Abrams movies, fail at storytelling and characterization on a fundamental level. That since he knows how to fake it well enough, people are satisfied in the moment of watching an Abrams movie, but that the movies don't linger with us.

It's just like what I said, basically it's all about a fan playing with available Star Wars toys that he may have customized a bit with some putty and plastic plates. Just like when we were kids, we don't usually get any more creative than that when roleplaying, we just reenact stuff we remember from the show though slightly different.

There's also the possibility that Force Awakens was deliberately made like so, counting on Abrams' aping ability, to ease in old fans before they totally break apart and reassemble the franchise in the sequel. We already have rumors of retcons concerning the Jedi/Sith origins as well as the 'Anakin as the chosen one' concept from the previous Star Wars movies.