PDA

View Full Version : Preacher

CleanComicBook
06-26-2016, 07:01 PM
Any good? How far should one read ahead before watching this first season? I've got the first couple trades laying around somewhere, just been apprehensive of turning the show on.

Luke Noonan
06-28-2016, 03:50 PM
Any good? How far should one read ahead before watching this first season? I've got the first couple trades laying around somewhere, just been apprehensive of turning the show on.
I'd read the entire run and not bother watching the show at all. After seeing the trailer, I've got genunely zero interest in seeing this show, it looks and sounds like nothing more than another paper-thin quirky crime drama. The thing with the comic, IMO, is that while the subject matters of crime, biblical fantasy and neo-western had all been done before, it was the characterizations, the dialogue, the humour and the bold deconstruction of subjects like westerns, cop dramas and of course Christian/faith-based fiction that made it original and so good. I wondered if they'd be brave enough to really stick to all that when making the show, it had a long development and looked pretty hopeful on that front early on, but HBO apparently passed on it eventually because it was too extreme for them (which is saying something...).
And now looks like they weren't brave enough. Oh well. But hey, maybe in 15-20 years somebody will reboot it and we'll get a Preacher movie the way it could've been made. :thumbs:

Moonrider
07-01-2016, 02:13 AM
But have you actually watched the show?