PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Discount?

Sleepbringer
06-23-2016, 01:14 AM
Filling out the Diamond paperwork and they want to know what discount I will give them? What is typical, what do they expect?

Stewart Vernon
06-23-2016, 05:52 PM
I assume you are talking about as a publisher. I don't know what is typical... but consider that Diamond gives the comic retailer anywhere from 35-57% or so discount depending on what discount tier that retailer has obtained.

While I don't know the details from the publisher side of things... in order to offer that level of discount to retailers... I have to assume the publisher discount to Diamond has to be on the order of 70-80% for that math to work.

i.e. You have a $5.00 cover price book, it is possible for a retailer to purchase that at $2.15-$3.25... so I always assumed Diamond's price to be $1.00-$1.50 probably.

I am guessing on the publisher side of this, but I know how the retailer side is discounted, so I have to be somewhere in the ballpark.

L Jamal
06-23-2016, 08:52 PM
The Diamond discount is typically 10% more than the retailers.
If you're offering to Diamond at 50% of cover, then the retailer is paying 40% of cover.

Stewart Vernon
06-24-2016, 02:56 AM
I didn't know you had an option, as a publisher, to cap your discount with Diamond. I know they have different plateaus to the retailer according to how much you order.

What I was less sure about was if you as a publisher had a hard discount with Diamond OR if your discount was flexible... like...

Retailer A has a 50% discount and Retailer B has a 40% discount with Diamond.

Does the publisher sell to Diamond at 60% off regardless? OR does it vary according to the retailer, such that, Diamond would pay you 40% for the books they sell to Retailer A, but Diamond would pay you 50% for the ones it sells to Retailer B?

I also didn't know if you as an Indy publisher could actually set a maximum discount through Diamond. I know DC, Marvel, Image, Dark Horse have their own special contracts... but I wasn't sure if the Indy publisher gets the same kind of flexibility in setting discounts.

Also, not having the form Sleepbringer has... I wonder... it seems weird for Diamond to ask on a form what discount you want to offer them when I suspect they have a minimum they'd be willing to accept.

L Jamal
06-24-2016, 08:08 AM
Diamond pays the same no matter what discount they give the retailer.

maverick
06-28-2016, 02:06 PM
Diamond will purchase from you at about 60% off your cover price. I believe it is non-returnable.