PDA

View Full Version : Damn: A Gorilla Noir

Gauntlet
06-09-2016, 01:37 AM
Some practice pieces in collaboration with Mr. Larry Pontius. First time working together. Very much enjoyed the experience! Any tips and crits on the work are greatly appreciated....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/baael925/Pontius-Nigro01_zpsrpvpo6va.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/baael925/Pontius-Nigro02_zpsi1cuvntq.jpg

TeleKill
06-09-2016, 03:01 AM
I like the layouts. Dynamic stuff! I like it.

Bishop
06-09-2016, 07:54 AM
I like it!

Areocube
06-09-2016, 09:28 AM
Nice art. This is very moody, which suit the Noir genre quite well. The gorilla looks pretty slick.

One critic - the beautiful dame in a red dress... this is somewhat cliche'. Not to say that it's a bad thing, but how many times have we seen this in books and movies?

DJA
06-09-2016, 04:29 PM
I like it. Last two panels throw off the positioning of the characters for me though. Good stuff!

Rob Norton
06-09-2016, 05:11 PM
I like it. Last two panels throw off the positioning of the characters for me though. Good stuff!

yeah I agree with that. character positioning in relation to the story isn't quite clear. the only thing that saved it was the fact I knew exactly what was gonna happen...(hence the aforementioned "cliché" story) so that informed what was happening. but on its own..kinda unclear.

and I don't think the odd panel layouts on page 1 do any favors for the story telling.

I DO like the moody camera angles.. the monkey is extremely well drawn.. the colors work well I think.. the dialogue flows really well to.

lots to like here.

rob

Gauntlet
06-10-2016, 01:21 PM
Thank you guys! Appreciate the comments -- Red was definitely just a go to color for the dress but now that you mention it, would be pretty fun to explore some other color options that aren't typical and see how they look and feel.

Also thanks for the notes about the character positioning ... I'm already seeing how I could have done things different to improve that. Hate how that comes up AFTER all that work but that's what I get for not coming over for some feedback earlier in the process. Think I'd learn that by now!

Cheers!

TeleKill
06-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Nice art. This is very moody, which suit the Noir genre quite well. The gorilla looks pretty slick.

One critic - the beautiful dame in a red dress... this is somewhat cliche'. Not to say that it's a bad thing, but how many times have we seen this in books and movies?

I thought of the girl as more of an archetype than a cliche. The femme fatale is a noir standard. So they set this up as a pretty straight forward representation of an old school hard boiled detective yarn but then the lead character is an ape and then I assume they'll take the story in an unexpected direction. But it has to be rooted in the familiar in order for it to work.

pandayboss
06-13-2016, 09:56 PM
Great stuff, bro! :thumbs::kewl: