PDA

View Full Version : How do you write teenage adventures?

Eliseu Gouveia
05-22-2016, 03:48 PM
How do you write teenage adventures?

I grew up reading The Famous Five.
By the time I was 18, I must have read dozens upon dozens of stories where Huey, Dewey, and Louie got themselves into trouble, were captured or had to capture thieves and rugged criminals.
Superboy saving the world. Tom Sawyer being hunted by Injun Joe. Mézga Aladár where a boy flew in an inflatable spaceship. Mysterious Cities of Gold, where three kids travel across early Colombian South America, meeting Incas, Mayans and Olmeques.
Kids and teenagers getting themselves in peril was a common ocurrence in fiction, back in the day.

And now I sit in front of a blank sheet of paper and suddenly, I have to think of XXI century helicopter parents.

How do I get my underage teenage heroes in unsupervised grave mortal danger without:
a) making the dads look like complete oblivious fools
b) making the teenage heroes lie about their daily ordeals
c) killing said parents

Have you guys ever ran into this sort of problems?
How did you circumvent it?

Scribbly
05-22-2016, 11:55 PM
How can teenagers make any unsupervised dangerous stuff without their parents knowledge and approval?
Does it ever happen in real life?
If that is a problem, make his parents superheroes too. :rolleyes:
BTW where they were the parents of each of those characters you did mention when these kids were doing dangerous stuff??
These kids always have Aunts and Uncles instead real parents.

sevans
05-23-2016, 12:01 AM
Give him or her dead beat, loser parents. Parents that don't care.
Who said they had to be good parents?

PLUS, having crap parents will make them look better.

khperkins
05-23-2016, 07:43 AM
Forget helicopter parents, the "new thing" in parenting is "free range" parenting. Look it up.
Kids always lie to their parents, esp. teens.
The parents can know that the kids are superheroes (are they? you just say heroes, so...), but the kids don't need to (and won't) tell them every detail of their daily lives.

Bishop
05-23-2016, 08:03 AM
Look at the Hardy Boys series. Their parents were concerned parents, but the boys just kind of fell into mystery/adventure stories that happened outside of their parents supervision.

Sully
05-24-2016, 10:10 AM
I like Bishop's suggestion. Just make it so that these sorts of things always happen to them haha.

Other suggestions include:
-very busy parents
-very understanding parents
-or the classic, dead parents

(Also I don't know about this "free-range parenting" being the new craze. All I still see constantly is control freaks.)