PDA

View Full Version : More Lettering Feedback?

jetpackgerbil
05-19-2016, 05:11 PM
Thanks to everyone who commented on my last post. Here's my latest attempt at comic lettering. I found the art and script in the exercise archives. Question about the ellipsis in panel 5. It just looks weird to me. Is there a rule for formatting an ellipsis? Any comments or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

http://gerbilwithajetpack.com/hosted_image/sample_comicbook_page_illustrator.jpg

Lucas.Gattoni
05-20-2016, 08:13 AM
Is that the ellipsis character or three periods?

jetpackgerbil
05-20-2016, 09:15 AM
Three periods, I believe. I didn't know there was an ellipsis character. How do you type it?

Lucas.Gattoni
05-21-2016, 01:01 PM
If you're in Windows, it's ALT+0133 >
If you're in a Mac, I'm sure you can Google it :D

I've learned of that from my typesetting background, but have seen it mentioned in many lettering tutorials and in both How To... books (the Comicraft one and the Microsoft one, by Todd Klein).

pandayboss
05-21-2016, 06:49 PM
I like it. All the balloons are placed perfectly for readability! :)

symulachra
05-21-2016, 09:41 PM
Nice work. The only thing I'd suggest is to use the crossbar "I" for the pronoun.

JimCampbell
05-23-2016, 05:43 AM
If you're in Windows, it's ALT+0133 >
If you're in a Mac, I'm sure you can Google it :D

ALT-semi-colon on a Mac keyboard. All the important typesetting characters are easily accessible on the Mac via keyboard. ALT-hyphen will give you an en-dash, ALT-SHIFT-hyphen gives an em-dash. In most Blambot fonts, the em-dash actually gives you a dedicated double-dash character instead.

jetpackgerbil
05-24-2016, 11:37 AM
Nice work. The only thing I'd suggest is to use the crossbar "I" for the pronoun.
Damn! Good catch. I'm usually pretty good with that.

jetpackgerbil
05-24-2016, 11:38 AM
ALT-semi-colon on a Mac keyboard. All the important typesetting characters are easily accessible on the Mac via keyboard. ALT-hyphen will give you an en-dash, ALT-SHIFT-hyphen gives an em-dash. In most Blambot fonts, the em-dash actually gives you a dedicated double-dash character instead.
Thanks!

Lucas.Gattoni
05-24-2016, 01:54 PM
Balloon placement and reading order in general looks great to me, and they say that's rule #1.

I'd work more on the tails to try to get them all to look more regular in size (that's one of my main issues too).

Also, some text blocks look a bit off center regarding their balloons (vertically), maybe that's something else to work on.