PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Of Fortune: Page Comparison

pandayboss
05-14-2016, 02:38 AM
This comics strip was released back in 2003 at GraphicSmash.com and run for maybe a year. Some of you may have recalled that site. On one of our series episodes, I decided to change the format to animated/cartoon style due to scheduling. Animated style is faster to do and an inker can just whip up easily and quickly. But the decision was not until I already have pencilled the first week page in a mainstream style. Although the strip run in animated style there on until it's finale, I'd still like to compare this with you for preference. :D Feedback please?

What would you like: realistic (top page)or animated (bottom page)?

http://www.pandaystudio.com/archive/Sorcerer of Fortune/sof-wk1 realistic small.jpg

http://www.pandaystudio.com/archive/Sorcerer of Fortune/sof-wk1 animated small.jpg

nickleboy
10-14-2016, 12:58 AM
Both pages are great although an inker that likes to work with details would probably prefer the realistic page over the animated version.

Afro
10-17-2016, 05:36 PM
I like both styles but the realistic one seems to have better camera angles for storytelling.

dadams595
10-18-2016, 09:33 AM
I like the realistic one too. The story telling is easier to "read" Both are really good though!!

pandayboss
08-23-2018, 05:29 AM
Both pages are great although an inker that likes to work with details would probably prefer the realistic page over the animated version.

That's true. Thanks Mike!:happy:

pandayboss
08-23-2018, 05:31 AM
I like both styles but the realistic one seems to have better camera angles for storytelling.

Yes, I agree completely! Thanks Afro!:thumbs:

pandayboss
08-23-2018, 05:32 AM
I like the realistic one too. The story telling is easier to "read" Both are really good though!!

I'm glad you like both. Thanks D!

08-23-2018, 03:40 PM
I personally always like more realistic stuff. that's just my taste. both look good tho.

NatMatt
08-23-2018, 08:35 PM
I'm pretty torn on these two pages if I'm being honest. On one hand, the "realistic" style has much better camera angles and detail whereas the "animated" style is, well more animated. The facial expressions and movements work very well on parts of the bottom page that I don't see on the first page, especially the old man's expression on panel one. But if I had to chose between the two, the realistic style wins hands-down.

pandayboss
08-25-2018, 01:09 PM
I personally always like more realistic stuff. that's just my taste. both look good tho.

Yes, I agree. Thanks 12013! I did the first batches in realistic style but it takes a long time to do, so I have to find a way to meet the deadlines. The best and only way was to do it animated.

pandayboss
08-25-2018, 01:16 PM
I'm pretty torn on these two pages if I'm being honest. On one hand, the "realistic" style has much better camera angles and detail whereas the "animated" style is, well more animated. The facial expressions and movements work very well on parts of the bottom page that I don't see on the first page, especially the old man's expression on panel one. But if I had to chose between the two, the realistic style wins hands-down.

Yes, I completely agree with you on both counts. The realistic took more time to compose and made sure to capture the camera angles without making the characters look stiff and of course the details really came with it while the animated took less the time to compose and as you can see the details are much less, hence it took less time to do. I've really a hard time to decide back then. Thanks NatMatt!

pandayboss
08-25-2018, 01:47 PM
At the time, I was also inking the pages and I started it as realistic as shown in the images below. I've employed too many details as I can. But it took a loong time to finish a page on a weekly basis.

http://www.pandaystudio.com/archive/Sorcerer of Fortune/SOF-1_small.jpg

http://www.pandaystudio.com/archive/Sorcerer of Fortune/SOF-14_small.jpg

ld-airgrafix
08-25-2018, 07:41 PM
you really need a youtube "how to draw comics" channel. Yes there are tons out there, but I would love to see an artist (of your quality) do a page from script, and I mean the whole lot, from layouts to final pencils. Talk about reasons you chose certain panel sizes, certain angles and so on. Jonathan Rector and Gerimi are probably the only two I have come across that actually do this. We need more of videos like these.
Oh and I can never tell, are you a digital artist or pen and paper guy?

pandayboss
08-31-2018, 01:28 PM
Hmmm. That's a great idea!!

I'm more of old school inker so I'm comfortable on the board using pen & brush. There are certain feel of pen on paper that gives the result you want in traditional inking and mostly I'm used to seeing those results. These past several months, I've tried my hands on digital inking and it's really great but it took about the same time to finish a page. I know for sure that there are quick ways and some tricks to do it but I'm not there yet and trying to learn on the fly. Definitely I'd like to do more digital stuff and I can see myself doing it all digital in the future. Thanks for asking, Id-airgrafix.:carrot:

TimR
09-04-2018, 09:18 PM
It's hard to compare the two styles since the staging is different.. I would think one could do animated style, but w similar staging? Anyway... The inked strips are very nice.

Morganza
09-05-2018, 04:25 AM
How about a cartoon style inked realistically? Love your work either way.

kevinharte36
09-05-2018, 11:45 AM
Use a pen plotter to get the page inked fast? Axidraw is one

eDuke
09-05-2018, 02:17 PM
I'm late to the party. I prefer the animated style myself. The facial expressions on the first panel of the animated one tells a better story. The inked strips are great!

pandayboss
09-07-2018, 09:34 AM
It's hard to compare the two styles since the staging is different.. I would think one could do animated style, but w similar staging? Anyway... The inked strips are very nice.

Hey Tim, thanks bro! Yes, staging makes the difference for both styles. What I noticed from experience, specially on animated, I tend to use extreme camera angles. There's no restrictions. I haven't tried the same staging for the animated style though.

With realistic, the camera angles give the true visualization almost like looking at a picture print. :banana:

pandayboss
09-07-2018, 09:35 AM
How about a cartoon style inked realistically? Love your work either way.

Hey thanks Morganza. I haven't tried it but it might work. :D

pandayboss
09-07-2018, 09:38 AM
Use a pen plotter to get the page inked fast? Axidraw is one

I tried the digital inking and yes it should work on both styles! It took me the same amount of time to finish a page. Maybe Axidraw would make it faster? Thanks Kevin.

pandayboss
09-07-2018, 09:40 AM
I'm late to the party. I prefer the animated style myself. The facial expressions on the first panel of the animated one tells a better story. The inked strips are great!

Hey Eduke, thanks bro! I agree with you on the facial expressions on animated style. It's easy to get a dramatic shot on animated. :carrot:

kevinharte36
09-07-2018, 01:28 PM
I tried the digital inking and yes it should work on both styles! It took me the same amount of time to finish a page. Maybe Axidraw would make it faster? Thanks Kevin.

Yes,just scan in your pencils, clean up in photoshop, vectorize in illustrator then print with a .03 pen on axidraw. Anyway, great work.

sevans
09-08-2018, 12:06 AM
Have agree with eDuke, something about clean, clear expressions and body language makes the animated style a better story telling option (IMO).

pandayboss
09-11-2018, 10:31 AM
Yes,just scan in your pencils, clean up in photoshop, vectorize in illustrator then print with a .03 pen on axidraw. Anyway, great work.

Wow, I'll take a look. Thanks Kevin.

pandayboss
09-11-2018, 10:34 AM
Have agree with eDuke, something about clean, clear expressions and body language makes the animated style a better story telling option (IMO).

That's really true sevans. It's fun to do and have its own style of storytelling and panel movement. :carrot: