PDA

View Full Version : Where do you guys get your paper?

Stewart Vernon
04-17-2016, 09:00 PM
Not asking what kinds of paper, and I couldn't find a recent existing thread... I do most of my work digitally, though sometimes I do sketches on some existing comic backing board stock that I happen to have already... but I wanted to be prepared in case I need some other types of paper.

I'm mostly looking at paper like Strathmore Bristol 100lb or equivalent... probably smooth coat since I'm mostly going to be using pen/ink/marker and not watercolors so I don't want super-absorbent paper.

I've been comparison shopping. Looks like the best deals locally are either Wal-Mart IF they have the right kind of pad of paper OR Michael's if they have a 50% off or better coupon going... that's for like if I need an emergency pad "right now" and can't wait for shipping.

Otherwise, for quantity when I can order in advance and not need it immediately, Dick Blick so far has the cheapest prices online but I may not be checking all the places.

Anyone have a favorite store locally OR online either for cost or convenience that I might not have thought to check?

khperkins
04-18-2016, 09:16 AM
Dick Blick online or A.C. Moore

L Jamal
04-18-2016, 10:46 AM
AC Moore regularly has paper on sale.
Local mom and pop art stores can buy what you need in bulk when there are distributor sales. Mine then passes those savings on to me, so my local store sells me Bristol board at less than 50% of what I can get it anywhere else, so unless there is an extreme sale, I go there.

Stewart Vernon
04-18-2016, 03:07 PM
I think the closest AC Moore to me is in Raleigh... I didn't think to look there while I was in Raleigh the other day. I'll have to remember to check prices when I'm there. Thanks for that reminder!

L Jamal
04-20-2016, 09:42 PM
I think the closest AC Moore to me is in Raleigh... I didn't think to look there while I was in Raleigh the other day. I'll have to remember to check prices when I'm there. Thanks for that reminder!

I'm in Durham.
Check out HappyMessArtStudios on Iredell Street in Durham.
Tell Holly that Jamal sent you.