PDA

View Full Version : Seeking sequential artist(s) for 16-page comic at ~$180/page

nicooo
03-30-2016, 08:11 AM
Hi everyone,

My name is Nicolas. I am a researcher at JCU Singapore (here is the link to my research profile: jcu.me/nicolas.greliche) and I'm trying to loosely adapt a scientific article I am currently writing into a short ~16 page graphic novel/comic/manga.

I've written the script and I'm now looking for some artist(s) to draw and colour it (I already have someone with me for the lettering). My budget for the whole thing is $3000, meaning the overall page rate for the hired artist(s) would be around $180 (with maybe a few minor requests for illustrations for the actual scientific article). I was thinking about paying the artist(s) via paypal in two goes, one after 8 pages of work and the rest after the 8 next pages (within 3 days of completion of those pages). Ideally I would like those pages to be finished within a month, but I'm ok to consider some extended period if this is not feasible.

I would like to provide the resulting graphic novel on the internet (not sure how and where yet. I'm happy to hear suggestions), free of charge and under the creative commons licence BY (attribution alone). This means that there won't be any direct income coming from sales, but you will get credit and be able to reuse, distribute, modify your work any way you want.

Now some additional info about the project:

Why am I doing this?
Well I like the sequential media a lot. I believe it has the potential to explain complicated scientific things in a fun and intuitive way. I have in mind to try to explain Statistics through a comic book, but I thought I should start with a smaller project first, so here it is. Additionally, I think such a project could show the scientific community that comics can help them communicate their findings... which could potentially lead to other work for you guys!

What is this article about?
The main topic discussed in the article has to do with a branch of Economics called Game Theory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_theory). I won't go into details here, but basically the article shows through different variations of the prisoner's dilemma (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner%27s_dilemma) that what is usually considered to be rational (for example defecting in the prisoner's dilemma) is actually not always very rational. It then proposes an optimistic alternative way of reasoning (related to the concept of superrationality (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superrationality)) that could help people make better decisions. Don't worry if you are completely lost for now. The script is hopefully quite clear and I'll give you more explanations later anyway. Note though that the main idea of the article (and so of the script) is somewhat unconventional and some interest in thinking about paradoxes/philosophy/Christopher Nolan movies would help.

Drawing style:
Clarity and accessibility are essential for this work, so I'm looking for a "clean" and easy to appreciate drawing/colouring style.
I would also prefer a not too stylized style, as I want the reader to feel the idea behind the story applies to our real world.

What's the story plot?
A young ~20 years old woman, apparently rational, slowly realizes, through a series of events and a dream, that what she thought to be rational may actually not be so rational and that her decisions matter more than she used to believe.

So if you are interested and think your skills fit with the project, please send me an email at nicolasgreliche+comics@gmail.com with some very basic information about you, some examples of previous sequential work (tell me if some of it was published) and anything else you feel may be relevant for the project.

I'm excited to see your replies!

Cheers!

nicooo
04-11-2016, 02:26 AM
I'm going to close the submissions.
Thanks everyone for applying. There are lots of very good artists out there. Was really cool to see your samples.
Will try to reply to everyone, but that may take a little while, as you were just 210 applicants!

Nicolas