PDA

View Full Version : Lettering in Spider-Man Blue

SamRoads
03-18-2016, 11:22 AM
Hi,

I just read Spider-Man Blue. I thought the writing, pencils, inks and colours were all excellent. I didn't feel the same way about the lettering, despite the source being the legendary Comicraft.

I'm inexperienced at lettering so I'd be interested to know if I'm making a mistake.

There are zillions of pages uploaded if you Google search "Spider-Man Blue", and here's a link to a review which includes pages:
http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/846083.html?thread=24011523&style=site

The thing that jumps out at me the most is inconsistency in padding. Is it intended to show volume of speech?

Is the "Wheehah!" bubble good?

Advice welcome!

Stewart Vernon
03-18-2016, 02:42 PM
I read those comics ages ago... long before I thought of such things. I don't remember when reading the comic thinking anything of it... but if I look to the pages with a technical eye, the dialog balloons could use some work. Some appear misshapen in unintentional ways, and most of them have more padding than necessary. The narration blocks, by contrast, have perhaps too little spacing in some cases.

As for "wheehah"... I don't like that particular bit of dialog, frankly. I'm not sure who would say "wheehah" in that scenario. Seems awkward.

IF I were doing it, choice of dialog aside, I think instead of the spiky balloon I would have chosen to shape the "wheehah" more like a sound effect (with different color fill) and have it break the boundaries of a normally shaped dialog box instead. But that's just me.

maverick
03-22-2016, 03:06 PM
Maybe Starkings had one of the interns do that one.