PDA

View Full Version : digital drawing/painting

JAM
03-08-2016, 09:32 PM
Hey guys which drawing and painting apps for tablets/pads are best? I heard of Sketchbook, Adobe draw, Adobe sketch, Artrage and Procreate. Any input? Thanks,

hope this is an ok spot for this thread.

JAM,.................................

Bishop
03-09-2016, 08:40 AM
I've never really gotten into Sketchbook, but it is a good tool. I like Adobe Draw because it allows you to use layers. Adobe Sketch has some really nice drawing tools, but it does not allow layers. I wish they would just merge the two, but I think Draw is vector and Sketch is raster, so they likely won't.

Duane Korslund
03-09-2016, 09:25 AM
I like sketchbook, for android its the best drawing app IMO...if you have to use an app. I ended up getting a surface pro 2 and putting photoshop cs6 on it...better solution...sort of...

Bishop
03-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I'd definitely rather use a full blown application like Photoshop or Manga Studio to draw than any app currently available for tablets.

JAM
03-09-2016, 01:19 PM
Thanks Duane K and Bishop for the reply...
Yeah I agree on the Photoshop Bishop, what more could you ask for and sketchbook is do-able, I'll have to try Adobe sketch/draw!
Duane installing PS on the surface did it make the layout/working area small/tiny hard to read or is it workable.

JAM,.........................

Duane Korslund
03-09-2016, 02:10 PM
Hey JAM,
Yes, there is a UI scaling issue..as with most windows software on the surface tablets. I think PS CC has a fix for it, and for CS versions there's actually a fix you can do by adding something to your registry that works pretty well....I use a program called Artdock that has some keyboard short cuts set up, I don't even mess with trying to scale the UI anymore.

JAM
03-11-2016, 01:40 PM
Thanks Duane..............
I checked out a HP tablet with windows 10 and an Ipad.
Windows 10, wow small layout(everything is a bit crammed) to work with and not all the adobe apps are available for it. Sketchbook and Artrage are but not Procreate.
Ipad is the best thing going I think, all apps available for it and Wacom has a Intuos stylus pen, pressure sensitive just for Ipad http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/stylus/intuos-creative-stylus-2 but by the time everything is purchased your at $500.00 or more just to digitally draw/paint and tiny screen to deal with...
nothing beats CS6 in a desktop a good size monitor, Wacom tablet, a scanner and old school medium. Sketchbook, Artrage and Procreate are available for the computer(desktop/laptop-windows or mac) and are good programs and affordable.

Duane Korslund
03-11-2016, 02:55 PM
yeah at work I do my best art with photoshop cs6, my 24 inch monitor and an Intous pro medium tablet...its not portable sadly, but it produces the best work. I do want to check out the Surface bookthough...its got a 13.5 inch active area...I think the UI would be a lot closer to comfortable with that size screen.
Of course those suckers are STARTING at 1400.00 so...yeah...no...