PDA

View Full Version : Is there an advantage to hand-drawn?

Sully
02-29-2016, 01:16 PM
Laying down the groundwork for a new series, one that I'll actually be able to draw myself, and I'm at a crossroads.

One the one hand, I feel like it will be much easier/faster for me to digitally draw this comic.

On the other, I feel like I am better at drawing it by hand with a pen, and coloring it with water-colors. (the downside to this one is that I don't have a SUPER good scanner. Just a regular one).

Is there an advantage to drawing/coloring by hand? Does it net any extra respect/word of mouth? I'm just trying to decide what is best here and there are trade-offs for both. This will be for an ongoing webcomic, specifically.

juan.a.stewart
02-29-2016, 02:01 PM
Let me try to understand you. Are you concerned with what others will say about your tools? Does it matter? Do what's easy for you, both for your wallet as well as your physical well being. Create the art man, make it look good. You're not hacking it, so why stress it.

I'm still waiting to get a Cintiq, or a Surface Pro to make things easy on myself. I honestly wouldn't stress it, that's just me.

Duane Korslund
02-29-2016, 02:04 PM
I agree with the jazman! So long as the output is the way you want it, I dont think it matters what you use.

Sully
02-29-2016, 02:13 PM
Basically, I think, to be more clear...

I can pump out pages much faster (which might be better for a webcomic) if I do it digitally. I like my physical style better but I wasn't sure if there was enough novelty behind that to make it worth it.

I get what y'all are saying though. I think I'll just go with digital in order to be able to more reliably create content.

sevans
02-29-2016, 06:36 PM
Produce your best work first.....There is a lot of crap out there, quality will stand out.
Personally if I don't like the art, I don't stay to read the content.

What tools will help you produce the best work?
Use those!

Stewart Vernon
02-29-2016, 09:02 PM
Generally speaking, I'd say do what works best for you and what you feel best fits the story.

Advantages to having digitally created art are that it's often much easier to manipulate/correct on the fly compared to hand-drawn mistakes that you have to white-out, paste-over, or completely start again from scratch.

Advantages to hand-drawn art are having original artwork that you can sell later... so if your series gets a lot of fan and you can sell your art, you have a bunch of stuff ready to go as unique pieces of art.

Bishop
03-01-2016, 08:25 AM
With more practice could your digital work match your hand drawn style so that you'd be happy with it? If so, I say put the time in to get there digitally and then product your pages digitally.Long term it will provide you efficiencies you can't get with traditional media. Of course, then you don't have original art to sell...

sevans
03-01-2016, 06:21 PM
Both are good.

New thought.

What do you enjoy? You have to spend hours either way... what would you enjoy?
When its not fun, it's hard to motivate yourself.

ferah11
03-02-2016, 12:40 AM
For me drawing digitally is a lot faster than traditionally, but then you don't have any originals to sell. I've know of at least 2 Marvel artists that sketch their pages digitally, then they just print that and use a lightbox to finish it on a board with incredible clean pencils without any sketch underneath. Others for example pencil the pages in a smaller size and then ink an enlarged copy, etc. Paco Medina once told me, "you can use a burnt avocado pit for all I care".

Sully
03-02-2016, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I think, honestly, it'd be easier for me to do the linework on the computer. I think I'd enjoy that more for what I'm doing. It's mostly the colors that I'm not great at digitally.

What I'm going to try to do for now is linework on the computer, print, and color by hand with watercolors. If that's too much work/I don't like what's happening, I'll probably swap to all digital.

That also solves the problem of not having anything to sell. It's kinda funny that it's backasswards from what is normally done in comics though.

Scribbly
03-03-2016, 12:34 AM
I don't know, for me all this digital thing is totally filled with gas.
I did put all y expectations in the cintiq 22 hd, manga studio pro and Photoshop for work out comics and for to be faster, etc. But there is a huge learning curve that may work different for each one. And it took the toll on me.
My experience:
I got enthusiastic after doing some pinups and covers, in MS and colored in PS but when I went to draw comics pages it got me crazy. Working thousand layers for each panel confused me. I trashed stuff I don't suppose, I wrongly flatted stuff losing hours of work. Or I got lost on many copies of the same file.I did start seeing details that never saw in regular paper and it took me weeks to finish a single page or panel. With no amazing results. The magnifier tool got me fooled. Everything got to be done at 50% resolution to see clear lines in PS. But the size of panels was close to the size of the huge 22 inches monitor. I got exhausted.
I did start everything a new working in regular paper with a regular Ticonderoga pencil , regular hunt 102, Japanese pen brushes and I finally did start catching up. Of course, when scanned, everything is looking awful, but at print size the awful would become beautiful. The cintiq 22 HD is great and handful for many things, as for sketching and coloring, but for the drawing cleanup and inking I rather work on regular paper with traditional tools. Where I can see everything at the first glance and keep the proportions correct. Why to expend $2000 on monitor plus software trying to imitate the effect and feeling of pencil on paper when I can have this with a $2 Ticonderoga pencil and some inexpensive Bristol paper that gives me the real feeling and grip I was looking for? I don't know but I was curious and I got to try it.
Well, I suppose everyone should try his own experience and work his best from there.

Sully
03-03-2016, 12:53 AM
Yeah mine is uh... Just my laptop and a $50 Tursion drawing surface ;___;

I usually only work in... 4 layers. Background. Panels. Sketch. Final.

I don't ever color digitally I'm horrible at it. If I do, I basically just flat the image so it has /some/ kind of color. Hence the idea to draw it digitally, print, and color with paints.

Stewart Vernon
03-03-2016, 12:55 AM
For what it's worth... you don't have to work with lots of layers. I almost never work with more than one layer. Now I haven't done comic books proper, but most of my process would work as-is without the need for multiple layers even if I did a comic layout.

Layers can make things easier for you if you use them properly... but if you don't have a need for them, and you just use them because you think you're supposed to... I bet it would become a mess pretty quickly.

Bishop
03-03-2016, 12:14 PM
I always work with a bunch of layers, but I have done so since photoshop 3.5, so I'm very used to it. I like the flexibility it provides.

juan.a.stewart
03-03-2016, 01:07 PM
I always work with a bunch of layers, but I have done so since photoshop 3.5, so I'm very used to it. I like the flexibility it provides.

It's honestly the safest way and best way to get things done. Those who use these kind of software wouldn't haven't it any other way. I remember when I was helping out with cartoons as an intern I would always get in trouble for not working in layers, so yeah, it's all about learning something to get the job done.

So tell me Bishop... when will you not be needing that Cintiq of yours, I remember you having one if I'm not mistaken :har:

Bishop
03-03-2016, 05:22 PM
I do, and never. :nyah:

Sully
03-04-2016, 09:49 AM
Oh yeah, photoshop. Let's take a moment to denote another area where I've been cutting corners for years.

Laptop
Tursion surface
GIMP

This is my set up. Normally in my bed, with the surface in my lap and my laptop sitting somewhere nearby.

I never claimed to be good at this.

Stewart Vernon
03-05-2016, 02:12 AM

Don't get me wrong either, with my earlier statement... there is absolutely a value to using layers. But I think a lot of new people come into it thinking they must use layers and try to force their use when they otherwise don't need them.

I admittedly sometimes could use layers to simplify some of my work efforts, but I'm so used to working without them that I sometimes forget how it would make my life easier with some things. I think people who know how to use layers probably should be using them, but anyone new to the program is better served learning the tools and settings and getting the feel for drawing/editing in it without trying to complicate things with the use of layers at first.

I see people who are new to Photoshop thinking "layers" and so they'll do every single little thing on its own layer and it can become a chore to work with such a file later.

It's like me with hand-drawing... since I'm mostly a computer illustrator, as I force myself into more hand-drawing practice there is a temptation to go buy all the different pens and pencils and brushes and stuff just because I know how they each serve a purpose... but I have to keep reminding myself to NOT go buy new tools just because I can, until I get competent with at least some of the ones I already have. Then I can add to the arsenal and make things easier with multiple specialized drawing tools after I'm more skilled at what I'm trying to do.