PDA

View Full Version : Wordpress Question

pandayboss
02-28-2016, 10:41 PM
Hi,

I have a website which have been hacked using my access information to use and manipulated my contents. The thing is, the website was done by a friend in 2008-2009. Him and I lost the information to update.

Do you or anyone you know have a clue on how to get around to this? I heard Wordpress is prone to hacking. I appreciate any recommendation/suggestion on how I could possibly fix this problem.

Stewart Vernon
02-28-2016, 11:06 PM
Are you hosting your own site, using Wordpress platform? OR having them host it for you?

I used to have a Web site on the domain I own, and it got hacked at some point and was being used to send out emails and stuff somehow from my content-submit engine.

But I'm using a free Wordpress site now, hosted by them... so I have no real access to it as such, which I think ends up making it safer in the long run as I believe they police their own domain more than I used to my own.

pandayboss
02-28-2016, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I host my own website. It only happened recently when the hosting provider got their servers hacked first. Then everything went crazy. I'm actually thinking of making it into html coding site. I have my Comics For A cause website done that way, and I never have any problem ever since.

What i'm looking for is how to get rid of those unwanted contents and how can I lock it so it won't be hacked again.

Do you know how I can do it?

Stewart Vernon
02-29-2016, 01:53 AM
It's a little out of my depth, sorry, and I'm rusty on the skills I used to have. Many moons ago I had configured internal Web servers at a company where I worked and we setup training materials and online tests and stuff... but that was ages ago.

On the plus side, IF you're looking to start over and don't need to salvage anything from the existing Web site, you may be able to have your ISP/Web hosting service reset it (wipe it) to defaults and then you can start over from there. That's what I was going to do with mine back in the day, but then I sort of lost the need to even have it and I just let it die the slow death.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
02-29-2016, 08:19 AM
I've had a wordpress site for years now (currently on BlueHost). There are one or two really nifty nerds here on DW who might be able to help... My site has been fortunate in never having been hacked, though last year it was absolutely bombarded with attempted logins for about 3 months or so. Wordfence Security was a plugin that was suggested to me - there are a bunch of security plugins out there, I don't know which is best - and it worked really well for me. You can block individual IP addresses or block entire countries (I ended up blocking Iran completely, there were so many login attempts one week I could just sit and look at the list drop down with one attempt after another, if I can believe the plugin)

I'm not very knowledgeable so none of this probably helps... just another WordPress user here. (I ♥ WP!) :-)

Marta
02-29-2016, 06:15 PM
I'd suggest contacting your host first and getting their advice. They may be able to tell you, for example, if your original content still exists or has been deleted. They may even have archives of files; depends on the host. If it's gone but this happened recently, see if you can find any cached version online that you can save the HTML code from. For future, always save some kind of backup. A host will often provide resources for that, I believe WordPress does too, but even saving the HTML will make it easier to recreate a site than having nothing.

My site was recently hacked, and the theme developer was able to troubleshoot along with help from the host. Some of that included making sure the WordPress version and other back-end security features had all been updated to the latest versions. They're updated frequently to keep ahead of hackers.

Good luck!

pandayboss
03-01-2016, 12:03 AM
I've had a wordpress site for years now (currently on BlueHost). There are one or two really nifty nerds here on DW who might be able to help... My site has been fortunate in never having been hacked, though last year it was absolutely bombarded with attempted logins for about 3 months or so. Wordfence Security was a plugin that was suggested to me - there are a bunch of security plugins out there, I don't know which is best - and it worked really well for me. You can block individual IP addresses or block entire countries (I ended up blocking Iran completely, there were so many login attempts one week I could just sit and look at the list drop down with one attempt after another, if I can believe the plugin)

I'm not very knowledgeable so none of this probably helps... just another WordPress user here. (I ♥ WP!) :-)

That's a good suggestion. I'll look into that for sure. Thanks Ingrid.:thumbs:

pandayboss
03-01-2016, 12:09 AM
I'd suggest contacting your host first and getting their advice. They may be able to tell you, for example, if your original content still exists or has been deleted. They may even have archives of files; depends on the host. If it's gone but this happened recently, see if you can find any cached version online that you can save the HTML code from. For future, always save some kind of backup. A host will often provide resources for that, I believe WordPress does too, but even saving the HTML will make it easier to recreate a site than having nothing.

My site was recently hacked, and the theme developer was able to troubleshoot along with help from the host. Some of that included making sure the WordPress version and other back-end security features had all been updated to the latest versions. They're updated frequently to keep ahead of hackers.

Good luck!

thanks Marta. I was actually on the chat with my host provider just awhile ago about it. They are looking into it right now. I mentioned about the hacked content updates and they will look into it as well. I didn't asked if they have a back up but I think they do. Here's what happened to my site now with the hacked contents: http://www.pandaystudio.com

Question: if you created a site with an old wordpress and if you wanted to use a new version, do you just change the new wp-config to set up to the old version and it should work? What if you forgot the password?

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
03-01-2016, 07:30 AM
It's recommended that you back up whatever you want to keep, and then you just apply the updates from within WP. Normally WP notifies you of those updates. The current version is 4.2.2 Maybe it would be easier to just start over if your version is too old? With all the free themes there are, is pretty easy to set something up.

pandayboss
03-01-2016, 03:21 PM
It's recommended that you back up whatever you want to keep, and then you just apply the updates from within WP. Normally WP notifies you of those updates. The current version is 4.2.2 Maybe it would be easier to just start over if your version is too old? With all the free themes there are, is pretty easy to set something up.

I actually found out the password for the wp-admin and so I was able to clean it up yesterday. I have a brief discussion with the host support and he pinpointed where I can get the password. So I did and it's done. Although the home page is running good but the nav links to the other pages are still not working. The hosting support is looking into in depth as why the navs are not working. I should be notified soon if it's up an running now. I'm really glad the the host provider is doing what they can to get my site running without any problems. Also once I have accessed the admin, the program was instantly updated to the latest I think.:D

pandayboss
03-03-2016, 12:28 AM

Good luck!

I just have the host support check my site as nav links to webpages are not working. In a flash it was fixed. now the problem is the plug-ins not functioning well. So I sent a ticket for them to check it again. Also the version I'm using right now is WordPress 3.7.2.1, and I think the newer version is 4.2.2 like what Ingrid was saying.

Question: should I update while in wp-admin?

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
03-03-2016, 07:32 AM
Actually, it's 4.4.2..... sorry, I got my 4's and 2's confused....