PDA

View Full Version : latest lettering page I done did.

Scott
02-06-2016, 11:41 PM
Putting together some samples for Long Beach Comic Con.

http://img11.deviantart.net/2172/i/2016/036/a/0/judge_dredd__lettering_sample_by_thestpierre-d9qmcyo.jpg

SamRoads
02-07-2016, 11:40 AM
Hi Scott,

Here's my advice:

P1: Don't cross-bar the I. Starting a sentence with a word beginning with I doesn't change this rule.

"It's Over Klein" looks like the gun is saying it.

P2: I'm not a huge fan of the horizontal padding in the second bubble.
It also feels like you're horizontally shrunk some lines to help them fit. In my view, this is a last-resort option.
The speech bubble is coming out of Klein's armpit.

P3: "You're no Judge" where the tail joins the bubble seems a bit far to the right.

P4: The Judge's Words caption box overlaps the previous panel (which I think is good, and helps draw the reader's eye) but it also directly butts up against the P4 bottom panel border. This feels wrong. The effect is emphasised by the way that none of the other caption boxes butt up against a panel border.

Hope this helps!

Stewart Vernon
02-07-2016, 01:52 PM
Agree with everything SamRoads said... and most are minor things... but I'll add one thing that caught my eye.

The "Judge's words" box to the right of the circular panel AND the "No!" dialog below it both cross the circular panel. The "No!" does so more prominently, and the first time through, my eyes were drawn to it first... which clearly isn't the way it is meant to be read.

Despite how good it looks, I might suggest not having the "No!" cross that circular panel as it can lead to confusion in what order the panels are meant to be read.

Scott
02-07-2016, 04:33 PM
Great observations folks. Every single one makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

In panel two I originally had the bubbles along the top with cutouts around Klein's hair and his gun, but it just didn't flow comfortably enough to panel three. so the uneccesary over-squishing of some dialog in the 2nd balloon was me neglecting what needed to be done from the older balloon layout.

JimCampbell
02-10-2016, 05:24 AM
You need to make more use of butting balloons to the panel borders — it's a great way of making more efficient use of the available space:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb36/jimcampbell2000/judge_dredd__lettering_sample_by_thestpierre-d9qmcyo_zpsalah3jzk.jpg

adityab
02-10-2016, 10:41 AM
I second Jim here. It can also help with the storytelling - in the second panel, look at how Jim's placements make you take in the elements of the panel as your eyes go over them.

Also, the 'End' caption gets lost where it stands. I'd move it lower to make it more visible.

Scott
02-13-2016, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the extra help Jim and adityab.

Jim, I'm only getting back into lettering after some years off, but I've had your website on my browsers bookmark bar this whole time and everytime I see it I would say "Yeah, I should get back to that." Only now I'm doing it more for myself than "trying to make it." Whatever that means these days.

maverick
02-18-2016, 01:09 PM
I'd make your balloons just a tad bigger to give a little more breathing room to your letters.

Also how about some SFX for Judge Dredd's gun on the last panel. blam or bang, it needs something.

Scott
02-20-2016, 12:19 PM
I agree it needs something. The script didn't mention any effects and on all the tutorials I've been able to find the writers have mentioned them so I assumed the writer hadn't wanted any.

SantaSpawn
02-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Where did you get the sample from?

maverick
02-22-2016, 06:21 PM
He's clearly shooting his gun. Needs sfx.

Stewart Vernon
02-23-2016, 03:12 AM
It's a good question... about the sound effect. Presumably the effects should be in the script, but what if you're lettering and you think something is missing? Is there protocol for going back to the writer and asking about it?

If the artist didn't think about it and plan for a sound effect that wasn't in the script, there could be some rework required there as well.

Not so much for this specific example, there's room... but what if there wasn't?

maverick
02-23-2016, 06:06 PM
you'd think a good editor would catch something like that