PDA

View Full Version : Blank Cover Sketches... Who is doing them?

Stewart Vernon
02-03-2016, 03:03 PM
Maybe this is a really stupid question... but as a fan and collector, I tended to get sketches on a comic by people who worked on that specific comic. But it seems like I'm seeing people working on sketches for the blank covers whether or not they have anything to do with that particular book.

Is that correct?

I'm not at all judging... it just never would have occurred to me previously to get someone to sketch on a book that hadn't worked on that book. But if this is a thing, and fans are interested, I might have to start checking in with my local comic shops and get some blanks to sketch on myself.

Jason Powell
02-03-2016, 04:19 PM
Maybe this is a really stupid question... but as a fan and collector, I tended to get sketches on a comic by people who worked on that specific comic. But it seems like I'm seeing people working on sketches for the blank covers whether or not they have anything to do with that particular book.

Is that correct?

I'm not at all judging... it just never would have occurred to me previously to get someone to sketch on a book that hadn't worked on that book. But if this is a thing, and fans are interested, I might have to start checking in with my local comic shops and get some blanks to sketch on myself.

I have seen artists do this many times but it is usually done by people who are fans of the artist not just a random artist.

Stewart Vernon
02-03-2016, 05:14 PM
I get that part... I mean, someone isn't going to buy something if they don't like it and if it isn't drawn by someone they like.

I've seen people in artists' alley at conventions doing it, though, and I know they haven't worked on the book... and that's what prompted the question. I would never have thought about doing it until I saw other artists doing it.

Some were doing it by request from a fan, and others were just doing it on their own without a specific fan request.

Jason Powell
02-03-2016, 05:24 PM
I get that part... I mean, someone isn't going to buy something if they don't like it and if it isn't drawn by someone they like.

I've seen people in artists' alley at conventions doing it, though, and I know they haven't worked on the book... and that's what prompted the question. I would never have thought about doing it until I saw other artists doing it.

Some were doing it by request from a fan, and others were just doing it on their own without a specific fan request.

Well think of it like this, who wouldn't want Todd McFarlane to do a sketch on any book. Heck, I would take a copy of Hamlet for him to draw a sketch on if he was willing.

If you are a true fan, you really don't care. It is more the memory of the meeting and the fact you have a sketch by them then the fact they did or didn't work on the book. It is like buying a custom sketch from an artist.

Stewart Vernon
02-04-2016, 12:35 AM
I guess I'm the oddball... I have lots of convention sketches, but the only sketches I have on covers OR inside hardcover books are by artists that actually worked on the book that I have them do the sketch. Until seeing this myself at conventions, I would have felt weird asking someone to do a sketch on something that they had no part in making.

vartemis
02-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Im the same, but my buddy Ed carries around a sketchbook that he gets artists to do a sketch of Captain Canuck as he's his favorite character. He keeps photo reference in it in case they don't know who it is.

dannycruz
02-04-2016, 10:06 PM
Back in 2010, i did a shit ton of sketch cover commissions and people tended to want drawings of a character that was related to the comic. So a Wolverine drawing on an X-Men blank, Thor on an Avengers blank, etc.
There was never any kind of issue at all of me or any other artist drawing on a cover that they didn't actually work on.

Funny enough, there's a sketch cover version of one of the GI Joe covers i did and just the other day i saw a J. Scott Campbell sketch on it. which i thought was kinda cool.

Stewart Vernon
02-05-2016, 12:48 AM
I have several friends who have sketchbooks that they take with them and get artists to do commissions inside. That's a different sort of thing to me, it's like getting sketches but just having a nice place to keep them all!

One guy I know used to have a theme... robots + food... so he had a whole sketchbook with various artists drawing a robot of some kind eating some kind of food. That was a theme I didn't see replicated anywhere! :)

I've also had some writers who weren't artists do sketches... like Denny O'Neil drew a bat symbol inside a Batman hardcover once for me! That was kind of cool.

I've seen some discussion online of people asking for sketches on blank covers for characters who aren't even in a book... like Loki on a blank Avengers cover since he is a sometimes villain of theirs... so I guess people/fans have become more flexible in their interests and requests.

I always figured if I drew on somebody else's book it would be ruining it... but if it's a thing, I need to be prepared to do it if anyone ever asks since I have been to a couple of conventions now as a guest. As people get more used to seeing me drawing different things, I'm bound to start getting requests at some point so I need to do some advance practice so I won't look surprised!

ferah11
02-05-2016, 08:58 AM
Technically if is yours you can do whatever you want with it. I draw lot of sketch covers and people like them, for the right money they can have it. Out of like a 100 buyers one guy may ask if you worked on the title but still buy afterwards.

Sully
02-05-2016, 09:54 AM
I've seen artists have a pile of them at their booth, even unknowns, in case the person wanted a commission of that theme anyways.

Personally, I've got a few sketch covers I want things done on, and no they don't have anything to do with the original team. I consider them variants that way haha.

I have an All-New Wolverine I'd like to get Cho to do something on at LSCC (in the style of the Savage Wolverine covers). I've got a Spider-Gwen I'd like to get Bachalo to draw something with the Lizard on one day (Ala Shed).

(I know. Unlikely, but I gotta dream.)

Justice41
02-05-2016, 10:13 AM
Sketch covers if you are versatile and prolific can garner a nice pay month.
https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtl1/v/t1.0-9/12670410_1277286452297999_5700038362206813668_n.jp g?oh=c425420c81099ddfcbe15badc963f828&oe=572A88B7

Stewart Vernon
02-05-2016, 01:28 PM
Thanks, and yeah... that's what I've started to see as I get back into conventions... artists with blanks for sale on the table where they didn't work on the book... and artists working on (or already finished) sketches on blanks for sale. Then some commissions specifically requested at the show too.

Of course I also see the big name artists doing them, and people who worked on the book itself of course. I guess I hadn't thought of it like a "variant cover" angle before.

I guess it's similar to the artist sketch cards, a lot of people doing sketch cards for the trading card companies are unknown when they first start... and then they get blanks to draw/sell on their own in most cases... and I never thought twice about that.

I really need to check out my local comic store and see what's available for blanks and perhaps keep tabs in case a particular title comes up that I'd want to have a few. I am better at some characters than other, by hand, so it behooves me to practice the ones I'm less good at and make sure I am comfortable working on that real-estate in the process.

I do like the look of a lot of work I've seen at the shows and online, so it'd be kind of cool to get into that a bit. I'm trying to stretch more this year where I can.

Justice41
02-05-2016, 09:45 PM
Facebook has a few Sketch Cover specific groups. There are people who will trade for other comics or sell you sketch covers. Search for one in particular called "Comics Book Sketch Cover" and ask to join.
https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/12650964_1277659198927391_4031414417033988913_n.jp g?oh=8dd8d8ac8a239d65c4730018f93b4210&oe=576AA220

Stewart Vernon
02-06-2016, 12:32 AM
Thanks... I'll check that out next time I'm logged in to Facebook.

Wolverine was nice, but that Cap is really nice!