PDA

View Full Version : Media Mail and Comic Books?

Sean Fahey
02-02-2016, 10:24 PM
Does anyone know what the rule is on using Media Mail to send comics? I've heard it both ways. I've received comics via Media Mail and via First Class.

The most logical explanation I've heard is that if the comic has ADS you cannot send it Media Mail. If it has no ads, then you can.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Stewart Vernon
02-03-2016, 12:45 AM
Technically, comics and magazines that contain advertisements that aren't for other comic books/magazines don't qualify. Which means most comic books would not qualify, but graphic novels probably do (the ones without ads anyway).

There used to be a "book rate" which was a fourth class rate for periodicals like newspapers and magazines and it was basically the same cost as Media Mail as long as you were only shipping comics/magazines... but I don't know if they have that rate anymore.

I believe in recent years they have began cracking down more on misuse of Media Mail due to their budget problems and losing a lot of business to alternative carriers, and anything you send via Media Mail is subject to inspection so if they catch you they might make the recipient pay the difference in the allowed rate before allowing delivery of the package.