PDA

View Full Version : Seeking a friend for the end of the world

KyleRaios
01-22-2016, 02:39 PM
Hey there! My name is Kyle and I'm looking for an artist to work with on an upcoming project I'm aiming to launch at Baltimore Comic Con 2016.

Essentially speaking, this book can be best pitched as "Raptors in Space," or a sort of mash-up between "Jurassic Park" and "Battlestar Galactica." Sound crazy? It is. Think of those awesome SyFy channel movies with an unlimted special effects budget. It's gonna be fun!
We'll be seeing space battles, snow battles, dinosaurs with swords, devolved humans, a terraformed earth, and one particularly large fish.*

*I'm not confident about the fish appearing.

The work will include a conceptual round for character designs, visual world building and some additional concepts necessary for a science fiction story. Compensation for this round is $150 (negotiable), to be paid via Paypal within 5 days of the completed submission.

The primary work will be the penciling of a 24-30 page story, the first of six chapters in a larger project. At this time, I'm looking for an artistic collaborator for the first chapter (that which is to be launched at Balti-Con), as the other chapters are to come later. However, I would like to note that for the sake of continuity, and my own sanity, I'm more open to those seeking a longer collaboration for chapters 2-6 (long term contract to be negotiated at a later date).

Additional work will include promotional work (pin-ups, posters, etc.), for the website, Kickstarter, book extras, etc. with a rate to be negotiated later.

At this time, I am looking for a Penciler ONLY, with a slight exception to those who ink their own work, or have a tag-team partner lined up. A Colorist will be hired at a later date. - If you happen to do all three, or are already part of a larger creative team interested in this work, please note in your reply emails, with work indicative of each individual step, with some independent of the others.

Interested submissions may contact me through my email, KyleRaios@gmail.com - Please put RAPTORS IN SPACE in the subject line so I can spot it away from any of my spam. Plus, how many times do you get to type that phrase?

Please attach samples of SEQUENTIAL artwork, particularly those pieces most pertinent to the aforementioned story - I want to see what you can do with nature, and what you can do with science fiction (even better if you've got examples mixing both). Have you drawn dinosaurs in comics? Show me. I like that stuff.

Completed penciled pages will be paid a rate of $75 per page (negotiable), with payment coming within 5 days of a completed submission (5-7 pages at a time). To those inquiring about inks and/or inks/colors, that additional rate will be negotiated on an individual level. The tentative deadline for all completed PENCILED pages is May 1, with any redos/edits complete by May 20. I undersand this can seem tight in some respects, but I've got a goal and I want to meet it.

One of the major components of the collaboration will involve some research on getting these dinosaurs looking proper - there will be a mix of what we're used to in media, and the feathered dinos we're beginning to see more of now. The greater burden of this will fall to me, but it wouldn't hurt if you've some experience doing academic research (though it's certainly not a requirement).

Full publishing will take place September 2-4 for the Baltimore Comic Con, but there will be preliminary publishing from the scheduled (if successful) Kickstarter, the launch party, the (coming) website, etc. You will be compensated several copies of the book for your personal portfolio/use, the cost of which I will pay.

I do intend to eventually shop the project around for greater distribution, but for now, I want to concentrate my efforts on making it for Balti-Con.

I'll be taking submissions from the moment this post goes live, until 11:59 PM EST on January 31, 2016.

Ladies and gentleman, thanks for your time. I'm excited to get this going, and I'm looking forward to seeing all the really, really kickass artwork.

In the meantime, you can find me on
Twitter - https://twitter.com/KyleRaios
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/KyleRaios
And my website (which hasn't been updated in a while, but does still hold some writing of mine;my permanent and greater site is currently under construction) - https://kyleraioscomics.wordpress.com/

KyleRaios
02-01-2016, 05:12 PM
I would just like to officially close the ad, and thank everyone who has submitted. I have just over 100 to sort through, and will do my best to contact all, regardless of the decision. Lots of projects in my pipeline, and lots of good art inspired some more.

Thanks again to everyone who submitted. Keep on making some great artwork!

KyleRaios
02-14-2016, 05:02 PM
Hey everybody. Thanks for all the submissions. You guys rock.
I've found my artist for this project, but I'm sure I'll be contacting some of you in the future for others.

Keep on making comics!