PDA

View Full Version : probably a stupid question...

Rob Norton
01-07-2016, 11:57 PM
so im going to be going to comic con again here in Salt Lake City and im going to have the usual art prints as well as some original art... BUT..

ive been messing around with doing some inking OVER pro artists pencils (print outs obviously).

but.. would it be bad/wrong if I were to sell these original ink drawings to interested buyers?

because its NOT my original pencils, but I WOULD make sure that's known..not trying to pass it off as my own stuff. not that I would be fooling anyone...these will be inks over Joe Mad art. but is that not..ethical? the big selling point (assuming I even do a good inking job anyway) is that its Joe Mads art that people will be drawn to im sure.

I ask because im sure pro inkers sell their ink work...but im not a pro inker and I really don't know what the position on this is.

probably a stupid question I know....

rob

DJA
01-08-2016, 01:28 AM
You may get some flak for that.

khperkins
01-08-2016, 07:50 AM
Don't do it.

Bishop
01-08-2016, 08:42 AM
I agree with the he others. Doing this would be bad for you, I think.

Pro inkers, that were paid to ink over pro pencils, are selling with the approval of the pencilled just as the penciller can sell their pages (from the split) that have the inkers inks.

Stewart Vernon
01-08-2016, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I'm with everyone else here. Not worth it. There's a grey line that a lot of people are crossing when selling prints of licensed properties WITHOUT a license to do so, but at least you're selling your own work there.

If you ink over someone else, and sell that, I think your gut is correct that the major selling point would be the penciller that you inked and not what you added to it... so if you didn't work on a project and have rights to sell as a result of that work, I'd stay away from it.

It would be perfectly acceptable, though, to bring such samples and have them as part of your portfolio to show people what you are capable of doing. Just don't sell them.

Rob Norton
01-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Yeah that makes sense. Thanks guys

luispb
01-08-2016, 02:41 PM
I Think that some pro inkers even do sketches

ferah11
01-11-2016, 07:20 AM
Yeah or, just a crazy idea, commission a penciler to make a piece for you and then make copies of that and ink on it over and over again, perhaps sell it like a limited run, different inking styles, etc. Or just make one and sell prints of that. Long time ago (20 years ago this year, we did 11x17 screen prints of our inks and then we colour them with watercolors, changing the light source, etc. But you need to be upfront with the buyers all the time, screen printing sometimes looks like originals.