PDA

View Full Version : Lettering SFX Feedback

somvi
12-29-2015, 05:03 AM
Hi I did some lettering practice on Judge Dredd samples.

This page has some interesting SFX challenges so I thought I'd give it a shot:

http://i.imgur.com/7NB7RqQ.png

These weren't in the sample script so I just added them in (FYI I've never seen the released version). Maybe it's too much? Distracting? weird font?

I'm still quite new to lettering so any feedback is appreciated.

* this is not my art or words, the full credits are embedded in the page

Stewart Vernon
12-29-2015, 07:05 PM
A lot of your sound-effects are blending into the backgrounds. Maybe some of this would be mitigated when the page is colored... but at the moment many of them are obscured, and a few I had to look at the panel several times to even find them all.

The effects themselves look fine to me, it's just that they are blending into the backgrounds. Many of them probably need a bit more white space around them to pop.

K_Palmstahl
01-07-2016, 06:12 PM
I'm gonna say too many SFX. (Since you did say you added some in). And some of them do blend a bit with the art. The aesthetics of the SFX themselves are pretty good though.

somvi
01-08-2016, 02:25 AM
@Stewart Vernon
@ K_Palmstahl

Agreed, too many SFX cluttering up the frames - maybe just one or two main ones would have been enough. I tried to play with masking on the lighting strikes but I think that works better with more solid shapes.

I haven't found a lot of practice pages needing SFX so I just tried some things out here. Good to know they're still appealing by themselves.

Thanks for the feedback guys.