PDA

View Full Version : Need Patreon supporters before launching Manga in Kickstarter

artauxeo
12-19-2015, 12:25 AM
SLICK WORLD RAW MANGA

Hello, I am Artauxeo, a freelance artist and a Japanese animation teacher.
Me and my writer needs this story crowdfunded so we can have manga production fund and animation pitch materials.
Having a story or art translated into animation, what I think, is every artists dream come true. I'm wishing we could have enough support here.

https://www.patreon.com/artauxeo

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/shushyn_03/patreon%20header%20manga_zpsxcqcutvd.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/shushyn_03/Gato%20X%20Rhino%202_zpse21ajsmk.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/shushyn_03/manga%20preview_zpsbpvi34rr.jpg

Steven Forbes
12-19-2015, 12:42 AM
Not to be more of a jerk than I already am, but let me make sure I'm getting this straight...

You're asking for people to give you money...so you can then go and ask other people for money? Or am I reading that incorrectly?

Anyone want to enlighten me?

artauxeo
12-19-2015, 01:14 AM
my writer want this manga kickstarted, but neither of us can afford this kind of quality in a manga page. (i can draw it, but i'll be losing potential income which my family needs).
having a small fan base, i launched a patron account last week and decided to put this manga on one of my goals because i need to pitch this to japanese manga publishers and animation studios in Japan, (then have it translated in english too).

writer can't afford to kickstart it, but i'm still open for the possibilities so i used my own patreon to fund the manga.

so there,
patreon will fund me doing the pages,
everything else needed is for the kickstarter.

Steven Forbes
12-19-2015, 01:26 AM
Got it.

You're asking for money so you can ask for money.

Don't get me wrong. I understand about needing to support your family. It just doesn't seem right to me.

Good luck with it.

artauxeo
12-19-2015, 02:22 AM
I'm asking few people to support, so the manga can be viewed freely by everyone, that's what patreon is for. i'm not selling the manga, only interested in translating the book to animation.
and maybe you know how much it cost to make an animation pitch material, that's where kickstarter gets in.
it's not just me who's gonna benefit on this, but fellow (hungry and exploited) artists too that would have more jobs if my proposed project is approved.

you can stop being a jerk now,
everybody here in the forum is in need of money.

good luck, and have a blissful holidays for you and your family.

jacobhalton
01-06-2016, 06:45 PM
This is an interesting argument, because comics are notoriously bad for making money, so I appreciate your strategy to get this done in a way that you're supported and can keep making more.

The artwork you posted here looks awesome, is that your artwork? I only ask because I checked out the Patreon....and the links on it....and can't find any more sample pages anywhere.

It pains me to say, but it's the truth that all of us know who work on our own stuff, that if you want people to pay you for it, you probably need to make a few sample pages to start with, so people know what they're getting into. You can work on them slower than your regular rate, so you have something to show, but asking people for money with just 2 pages and a cover doesn't seem like enough.

Your work is good enough, I feel like it could take off, especially if you posted it around social media (like you're doing here). But people won't want to get on board if you're not already on your way with it. I'd say at least 10 pages is enough of a sample. Post them on Tapastic and Webtoon too.

The usual way Patreon works is an ongoing fundraiser add on for something that you're already doing for free. Since you're not willing/able to do this before actually getting money for it, I say treat the Patreon page like a campaign, the same way you would with Kickstarter. Meaning = you need to show people you're committed to it, not just tell them.

Good luck with the book, hope it takes off