PDA

View Full Version : Drawing size for comics other than 11x17

luispb
11-23-2015, 07:04 PM
Hey guys so im not new to comics. Though ive never had printed work. But i have worked with the standard 11x17 size.

But i dont have enough time anymore to work on an 11x17 size. But i really want to get my story out their.

So i was wondering if any of u had previous experience working with other sizes that could aslo be printed into comics.

Kablam has another size that they offer for drawing comics but it is a bit too small. Do you guys think that its possible to make my own size paper but that fits the 11x17 ratio. For example could a 8x 14 size paper work?? The difference between is six just like the 11x17.

Thanks

revmykd
11-23-2015, 07:15 PM
As long as the ratio is correct you'll be fine. There was an 8.5x14 boards that either Eon or Blue Line use to make...they may still make them but I haven't seen them in awhile. I think the "safe image area" was 6.5 x 10.25, or something in that range.

luispb
11-25-2015, 02:26 PM
As long as the ratio is correct you'll be fine. There was an 8.5x14 boards that either Eon or Blue Line use to make...they may still make them but I haven't seen them in awhile. I think the "safe image area" was 6.5 x 10.25, or something in that range.

But im not a hundred percent sure on what the ration is ?

Because what about the safe area ?

Im assuming that as long as im close to the ratio I should be okay?

DaveyDouble
12-05-2015, 06:14 AM
Dude, don't worry about it. Adam Warren (Empowered, Dirty Pair, Livewires, Gen13, Iron Man... lots of other stuff) now works on A4 copy paper, only in pencils.
200AD will famously publish anything as long as it's good (I remember they had a line in their subs document mentioning woodcut).

Warren's been doing that for the last 10 years for Empowered (admittedly, his -rough- pencils would put 90% of artists finished work to shame...)

Don't worry about the media. Just draw it.
Take a standard template (they're literally everywhere on the internet) and use that, refitting to your page as required.
For print you need the right resolution/dpi once it's been scanned (or for the native file if you work digitally) but outside of that, just do whatever works.
A4, landscape, 11 x 17, postcard.
Worry more about your story and less about the paper it's on.

Bulletboy-Redux
12-05-2015, 12:21 PM
If you're not sure about ratios, create a document in Photoshop that matches the final size your pages will need to be. Now make copies of that document in descending or ascending sizes. Increase or decrease the size by one inch with every copy (make sure Photoshop is set to "constrain proportions" so it maintains the ratio). All these copies will give you a range of the different sizes you can use in either direction, smaller or bigger. And to figure out safe areas, bleeds, etc. just do what Davey said and download a template. Then just paste that template onto whatever size document you're working with and resize the template to fit.

luispb
12-16-2015, 06:45 PM
Wow thanks guys. I appreciate it!!